(Version 1.01 - Last updated: 7/29/98)
- Concept by David Olson (email@example.com)
- Background and RPG Statistics by Kenneth
- Background Information
derived from Robotech Technical
As the second Robotech War proceeded, it became increasingly aware to the remaining
Robotech Defense Force personnel, that this war would be exclusively the show of the
Southern Cross. As a result, no new mecha were to be designed or manufactured for
the already depleted RDF forces. RDF high command quickly came to the decision that
although no new mecha would be designed and built, the RDF did have a considerable
quantity of older VF-1 Valkyrie fighters in storage in Tranquility Base on the moon and in
various depots scattered around the Earth. The solution was to then take these
stalwart watch guards from the First Robotech War and turn them into guardians in the
The basic airframe was kept, but the electronics, weapons and armor under went a major
overall. Two new Nakajima/P&W/Rolls-Royce FX-2010 fusion turbines were added to
replace the venernable FF-2001 or FF-2001D initially installed. These engines
produced 25% more thrust than the earlier models at three-quarters the weight. The
aging Hughes AWG-20 X-band pulse-Doppler radar was replaced with a new AWG-30 model
providing 50% greater detection range. The armor was upgraded to the Chobam laminar
found on the VBF-1 and VAF-6 series of veritech fighters. In addition the two nose
lasers were replaced with two EP-4 single barrel particle cannons Each cannon is
charged from the main protoculture generator and can fire 9 MJ of particle energy every
second. The head lasers were similarly upgraded to LA-5 lasers able to fire 6
MJ bursts every 2 seconds.
The first production upgrade was rolled out in March of 2029 and entered combat service
the next month in South America. Major David Olson flew the first upgrade
VF-1M into combat against remnants of the Khyron's Vipers a Zentraedi Malcontent
band. Although he was shot down moments after the combat began and the mecha was
completely destroyed, the RDF high command decided that the Morningstar package was an
inexpensive means by which they could upgrade their forces.
The upgrade kits went into full production on September 2029 at New Albuquerque base in
the North American Quadrant. All total some 1,129 VF-1A, J, and S models were
upgraded with a majority taking place on the Valkyrie fighters placed on Earth
because of the Robotech Master blockade. These fighters were immediately placed into
action against the Master's Bioroids and Assault Shuttle forces to mixed success.
Generally, the Morningstar pilots had lower death and higher kill rates than their
Southern Cross comrades in arms. This result is more likely due to the fact the the
RDF pilots were generally more experienced. Nevertheless, it is undeniable that the
Morningstar upgrade package allowed the RDF to play a more significant roll in the Second
Robotech War than it otherwise would have.
At the end of the war, most of the Morningstars had been destroyed. However, some
100+ of the units survived the Invid invasion and were highly prized by resistance forces
for their longevity of the protoculture generator and their high maximum speed which could
often outrun any Invid mecha .
- Vehicle Type: VF-1M Valkyrie Morningstar Fighter
- Class: Variable Fighter
Manufacturer: Robotech Defense Forces upgrade package New Albuquerque Base
Crew: One pilot wearing Tactical Life Support System.
MDC BY LOCATION:
|Head Lasers (1, 2, or 4)
|(2) Main Body
|Reinforced Pilots Compartment
|Retractable Utility Arms
|Nose Lasers (2)
- Destroying the sensor head of the Morningstar will knock out the mecha's major sensor
systems, including all of the optics systems (infrared, nightvision, thermal). Radar and
communications will be unaffected.
- Depleting the MDC of the main body will destroy the mecha.
- RUNNING, SOLDIER CONFIGURATION:
- 128 kph
- LEAPING, SOLDIER CONFIGURATION:
- 50 ft (15 m) high or 70 ft (21 m) long without thrusters.
- FLYING, SOLDIER CONFIGURATION:
- 300 kph / 400 kph for (A,B,G,H,I,T)
- FLYING, GERWALK/SOLDIER CONFIGURATION:
- Mach One (670 mph/1072 kmph) maximum speed limit in an Earth-like atmosphere. Can also
hover in place indefinitely.
- FLYING, FIGHTER CONFIGURATION:
- Max level speed at sea level : Mach 1.5
Max level speed at 10km: Mach 4.5
Max level speed at 30+ km: Mach 7
- Stall speed : 182 kph (VTOL rectification possible)
Initial climb rate : over 35000m per minute
Service ceiling : 40 km (unboosted).
MAX ENGINE THRUST:
- Two Nakajima/P&W/Rolls-Royce FX-2010 fusion turbines, total engine
output 332 kN total at max. power; 613 kN are available with overboost. Exhaust nozzles
allow for vector thrust, serving in place of conventional elevators. System includes two
reverse-vernier thrusters, on blisters outboard of each intake; exhaust comes directly
from main turbine at a maximum of 20% thrust.
- Four Nakajima NBS-1 high-thrust vernier thrusters, one on the ventral
in fighter mode, three in the 'backpack' in
Guardian and Battloid modes.
- 16.7m in soldier configuration.
- 11.7m in gerwalk configuration.
- 6.3m in fighter configuration.
- 9.1m at shoulders in soldier and gerwalk configuration.
- 14.8m with wings at maximum extension.
- 5.0m in soldier configuration.
- 11.3m in gerwalk configuration.
- 14.0m in fighter configuration.
- 23,000 kg empty.
- PHYSICAL STRENGTH:
- Equal to a P.S. of 60
- Small compartment behind pilot's seat for personal belongings in addition to the cyclone
- POWER PLANT:
- Two Tirolian mecha protoculture-generators RT-6d providing a total of 1,000 MW
- Delta V:
- 100 kps
- COMPATIBLE FAST PACKS
(Macross Mecha Designs):
- Dorsal: NP-BP-01, NP-BP-02, NR-BP-T1, NP-BP-10, NP-BP-11, NP-BP-12, NP-BP-19
Arm: NP-AR-01, NP-AU-T1
Leg: NP-FB-01, NP-FB-T1, NP-FB-10
- GU-111 65MM THREE-BARRELED SMOOTHBORE
ROTARY: firing 700 rounds per minute, 600 round capacity stored internally.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Assault
- SECONDARY PURPOSE: Anti-Mecha
- RANGE: Armor Piercing Spin Stablized Discarding Sabot (APSSDS) 5249 feet (1600
m), or 3937ft (1200m) for all others.
- DAMAGE: APSSDS 6d6 short burst, 1d4*10+10 medium burst, 3d4*10+10 full melee
burst. HEAP 1d4*10 short burst, 2d4*10 medium burst, 4d4*10 full melee burst.
Tracer rounds reduce damage by 25%. Standard 5d6 short burst, 1d4*10 medium burst,
or 3d4*10 full melee burst
- RATE OF FIRE: Single shots or bursts equal to the combined attacks of the pilot.
- PAYLOAD: 600 rounds of internal ammunition or 60 short bursts, 30 medium, or 15
- NOTES: APSSDS crits on 17,18,19,20. HEAP crits on 19,20.
Tracers add +2 to strike.
- 2 x NOSE MOUNTED EP-4 THREE-BARRELED 80MM PARTICLE GUN POD: Can fire 9 MJ bursts
of particle energy every second and is powered by the main protoculture generators.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Assault
- SECONDARY PURPOSE: Anti-Mecha
- RANGE: 2000 m
- DAMAGE: 1d4*10 for each single shot, or 2d4*10 for each dual shot.
- RATE OF FIRE: Single shots equal to the combined attacks of the pilot.
- PAYLOAD: Conditionally unlimited.
- LA-5 HEAD LASERS: The head lasers were upgraded to the more powerful LA-5 laser
cannons capable of firing 6 MJ shots every two seconds.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Anti-missile
- SECONDARY PURPOSE: Assault
- RANGE: 600 m
- DAMAGE: 4d6 for each Head lasers or 2d4*10 for all four, if 'S' version
- RATE OF FIRE: Single shots equal to the combined attacks of the pilot up to eight
times per melee.
- PAYLOAD: Conditionally unlimited.
- BODY/WING HARD POINTS: Two fixed hard points are mounted on each wing.
These hardpoints can be used to carry 15 short range missiles, 5 medium range
missiles or 2
long range missiles.
- HAND TO HAND COMBAT: If necessary, the Morningstar can engage in melee combat
rather than use a weapon. The VF-1M is extremely agile and can execute most typical
hand to hand combat moves, such as punches, jump kicks, leap attacks, rolling with
- Punch in Battloid: 3D6*3
- Punch in Guardian: 3D4*3
- Kick: 3D6*3
- Leap Kick: 6D6*3
- Body Flip/Throw: 3D6*3
- Body Block/Tackle: 3D6*3
- Stomp: 6D6*3 . (only effective against small objects)
STANDARD EQUIPMENT FOR THE MORNINGSTAR:
- AUTO-PILOT: The Morningstar is equipped with a computerized auto-pilot, allowing
the pilot to relax or even sleep during long voyages. The auto- pilot can be programmed
with a single destination or a complex flight plan involving multiple speeds, directions,
and destinations. The onboard computer will alert the pilot when the fighter is near its
destination, and can also be set to automatically signal when sensors detect objects near
the mecha. The auto-pilot was designed with long intra-system space journeys in mind.
- COMBAT COMPUTER: The combat computer tracks and identifies specific enemy
targets, and has a database of over 10,000 images stored in memory. The computer can
identify and track up to 250 targets simultaneously.
- EXTERNAL AUDIO PICKUP: Range: 300 ft (91.5 m). A sound amplification system that
can pick up normal conversation up to 300 feet away.
- HEAT AND RADIATION SHIELDS: Special shielding prevents the penetration of life
threatening head and radiation. A radiation detection and alarm system are linked with the
shields and will sound an alarm if there is a rupture in the shields and what the levels
of radiation are.
- HOMING SIGNAL: The escape pod of the VF-1M is equipped with a homing
device that enables rescue teams to locate a disabled craft or ejected life pod. The range
of the signal is 400 miles (640 km). Most REF ships and veritecs can locate and track a
homing signal, and the onboard computers will automatically notify their pilots if such a
signal is detected.
- LASER TARGETING SYSTEM: Range: 100 miles (160 km). Used for increased accuracy in
the striking of enemy targets and is partly responsible for the mecha's strike bonus.
- LOUDSPEAKER: A loudspeaker system is built into the craft, which can be used to
amplify the pilot's voice up to 90 decibels.
- OPTICS: INFRARED: Range: 2000 feet (610 m). This optical system projects a beam
of infrared light that is invisible to the normal eye, but detectable by the mecha's
sensors. The system allows the pilot to detect hidden/concealed objects by their IR
reflectiveness. The beam will be visible to anyone with IR sensitive optics, however.
- OPTICS: NIGHTVISION: Range: 2000 feet (610 m). A passive light image intensifier
that emits no light of its own, but relies on ambient light which is electronically
amplified to produce a visible picture.
- OPTICS: THERMAL IMAGER: Range: 2000 feet (610 m). A passive optical heat sensor
that detects infrared radiation projected by warm objects and converts that data into a
false-color visible image. The system enables the pilot to see in the dark, in shadows,
and through smoke, and also adds a +10% bonus to pilots using a tracking skill.
- RADAR: 200 mile range.
- RADIO/VIDEO COMMUNICATION: Long range, directional communications system with
satellite relay capabilities. Range: 600 miles (960 km) or can be boosted indefinitely via
- SELF-DESTRUCT: To prevent capture of an advance variable fighter by the enemy,
the pilot can activate the VF-1M self-destruct system, which will cause the fighter
to explode after a delay of up to 60 minutes (time is set by the pilot). The explosive
damage is contained within a 20 foot (6 m) area and inflicts 1D6x10 M.D. to everything
within the radius of the explosion. All internal systems are obliterated. The escape pod
will be automatically ejected prior to the explosion unless the pilot overrides the
- STANDARD SURVIVAL KIT: All REFs veritecs come equipped with a portable survival
kit. Inside the small reinforced box is a medium-sized flashlight, two hand flares, one
rocket flare, a compass, infrared distancing binoculars, a small mirror, a pocket knife,
dehydrated and concentrated food (can be stretched into a five day supply for one person)
and basic first aid items (aspirin, bandages, disinfectants, etc.)
- TACTICAL LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEM: The Morningstar cockpit is pressurized, and also
provides additional air feeds to the pilot's flight suit that provides him with
pressurized breathing. The REF flight suit also contains an upper and lower g-suit that
promotes blood circulation even during high-g turns, thus decreasing the possibility of
pilot's blacking out in combat.
- Elettronica Radar Warning Receiver (RWR)
- OlDelft Infra-red Warning Receiver (IRWR)
- Westinghouse ALQ-250(V) active sensor jammer
- Chaff and Flare dispensers: 12 chaff and 12 flares are stored in each
COMBAT BONUSES FOR MORNINGSTAR TRAINING:
- 3 attacks per melee (plus those of the pilot).
- Add one additional action/attack at levels six and eleven.
- +2 to strike
- +3 to parry
- +2 to dodge in solder, +4 in guardian, and +6 in jet mode.
- +3 to roll with a punch or fall with an impact, reducing damage by half.
- Critical strike same as pilot's hand-to-hand.
REFERENCES USED IN THIS DESIGN
- Robotech Technical Files: Veritech Valkyrie
- Palladium Books: "Robotech The Roll Playing Game"
Back to Mecha Home