YVM-29 "BLUE MAX"
(Version 1.01 - Last updated:
- RPG Translation and History by
- Based on an orginal mecha design by Ted Nomura, Joeming Dunn and Mel
- Published in Antarctic Press: Robotech #1
The YVM-29 "Blue Max" was the Eastern Block Soviet Independent
State's first, and some would argue most successful, attempt to create a variable fighter.
In early 2005, as the UEG was putting out the call for bids on a new prototype
variable fighter, it became apparent the the reinvigorate Soviet aircraft industries
would be not be allowed to obtain little if any of the advanced alien
"over-technology". Therefore, the Soviet air force decided that with the
aid of their extensive spy network and the use of native technologies the EBSIS air wing
would produce its own transforming fighter. The Mikoyan-Gurevich state
aerospace industries was awarded the project code named "Blue-Max" on
February 13, 2005.
For similar reasons as Grumman Corporation with the YVF-14, Mikoyan designers decided
to modify a traditional airframe instead of building a new design from scratch. They
chose the MIG-29 to start off from and installed the most advanced engines and electronics
that the Soviet Empire could obtain. The new veritech was called the 'YVM-29' and
was built in the typical rugged and durable Soviet fashion. Much of the plane uses
designs "borrowed" from the Grumman team, to the point were the armor and the
weapons load configurations for the YVM-29 and the YVF-14 are quite similar.
Unfortunately for the Soviets, very little of the YVF-14 advanced electronics for
battlefield surveillance and man-machine interface was able to be replicated. As a
results, the Blue Max performance lags in both those areas. The first test flight of
the YVM-29 was on August 17 2006, only 3 months after the Grumman team. The flight
went flawlessly as the general staff was amazed at the maneuverability of the new machine.
In all total some 25 YVM-29's were built. Although the plane was considered a
success, the cost of each plane proved to be too much and the project was canceled
The combat history proved the planes worth. Some 18 YVM-29's were
sent against the Ukraine in the summer of 2008. These planes shot down some 50
conventional fighters, while only losing two. Of the remaining 23 fighters, 17 were
destroyed on the ground during the Zentraedi "Rain of Death". The
remaining six were maintained and upgraded through the end of the First and the Second
Robotech War with stolen RDF, ASC, Zentraedi, and Robotech Master technology that EBISIS
was able to obtain.
After the end of the Second Robotech War in August 2030, the ASC were in
such a depleted state that EBSIS had became the dominate power without a shot fired.
On May 13 2033, EBSIS forces crossed into Germany thus beginning the Second Global
Civil War. The YVM-29's were among the first combat aircraft into UEG space meeting
older VF series finally in combat. The updated 29's performed well against
advanced ASC fighters; however three of the remaining six were shot down. Russian
forces quickly established air-superiority and looked to take over all of Europe.
However their plans soon came undone, when the Invid attacked two days later. Only a
single YVM-29 is believed to have survived the Invid invasion is is currently with
resistance fighters in North America.
- Vehicle Type: YVM-29 "Blue Max"
- Class: Variable Fighter
Manufacturer: Eastern Block Soviet Independent States
Crew: One pilot wearing Tactical Life Support System.
MDC BY LOCATION:
|30 mm Cannon
|(1) Main Body
|Reinforced Pilots Compartment
- Depleting the MDC of the main body will destroy the mecha.
- FLYING, GERWALK/SOLDIER CONFIGURATION:
- Mach 0.9 (900 kmph) maximum speed limit in an Earth-like atmosphere. Can also hover in
- FLYING, FIGHTER CONFIGURATION:
- Max level speed at sea level : Mach 1.1
Max level speed at 10km: Mach 2.5
Max level speed at 30+ km: Mach 4
- Stall speed : 182 kph (VTOL rectification possible)
- Range: 1500 km
Initial climb rate : over 20000m per minute
Service ceiling : 25 km (unboosted).
MAX ENGINE THRUST:
- 2 x MIKOYAN-GUREVICH VECTORING TURBOFANS: each engine is rated at
30,000 lbs of thrust each with augmenters
- 6.13m in gerwalk configuration.
- 4.20m in fighter configuration.
- 15.5m with wings out swept
- . 17.6m
- 11000 kg empty.
- PHYSICAL STRENGTH:
- Equal to a P.S. of 30
- Small compartment behind pilot's seat for personal belongings.
- COMPATIBLE FAST PACKS:
- 1 x 30MM M99-A1 ANTI-TANK CANNON: An advanced version of the 30mm cannon, found
on the original MIG-29, is mounted underneath the fuselage. The gun can fire 500
rounds per minute and has a 300 round capacity stored internally.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Assault
- SECONDARY PURPOSE: Anti-Mecha
- RANGE: Armor Piercing Spin Stabilized Discarding Sabot (APSSDS) (1000 m), or
3937ft (900m) for all others.
- DAMAGE: APSSDS 1d6 short burst, 3d6 medium burst, 5d6 full melee burst.
HEAP 2d6 short burst, 4d6 medium burst, 6d6 full melee burst. Tracer rounds
reduce damage by 25%. Standard 1d6 short burst, 3d6 medium burst, or 5d6
full melee burst
- RATE OF FIRE: Single shots or bursts equal to the combined attacks of the pilot.
- PAYLOAD: 200 rounds of internal ammunition or 20 short bursts, 10 medium, or 5
- NOTES: APSSDS crits on 17,18,19,20. HEAP crits on 19,20.
Tracers add +2 to strike.
- 6 x WING HARD POINTS: Three hard points are mounted on each wing. Each hard point
can mount 15 short range, 5 medium, 2 long range missiles or 500 kg of bombs
- HAND TO HAND COMBAT: If necessary, the Blue Max can engage in melee combat rather
than use a weapon. Without a dedicated battleloid mode the Blue Max only possesses limited
hand to hand abilitys.
- Kick: 3D6*3
- Leap Kick: 6D6*3
- Body Block/Tackle: 3D6*3
- Stomp: 6D6*3 . (only effective against small objects)
STANDARD EQUIPMENT FOR THE BLUE MAX:
- AUTO-PILOT: The Tigercat is equipped with a computerized auto-pilot, allowing the
pilot to relax or even sleep during long voyages. The auto- pilot can be programmed with a
single destination or a complex flight plan involving multiple speeds, directions, and
destinations. The onboard computer will alert the pilot when the fighter is near its
destination, and can also be set to automatically signal when sensors detect objects near
- COMBAT COMPUTER: The combat computer tracks and identifies specific enemy
targets, and has a database of over 100 images stored in memory. The computer can identify
and track up to 5 targets simultaneously.
- EXTERNAL AUDIO PICKUP: Range: 300 ft (91.5 m). A sound amplification system that
can pick up normal conversation up to 300 feet away.
- HEAT AND RADIATION SHIELDS: Special shielding prevents the penetration of life
threatening head and radiation. A radiation detection and alarm system are linked with the
shields and will sound an alarm if there is a rupture in the shields and what the levels
of radiation are.
- LASER TARGETING SYSTEM: Range: 100 miles (160 km). Used for increased accuracy in
the striking of enemy targets and is partly responsible for the mecha's strike bonus.
- LOUDSPEAKER: A loudspeaker system is built into the craft, which can be used to
amplify the pilot's voice up to 90 decibels.
- OPTICS: INFRARED: Range: 2000 feet (610 m). This optical system projects a beam
of infrared light that is invisible to the normal eye, but detectable by the mecha's
sensors. The system allows the pilot to detect hidden/concealed objects by their IR
reflectiveness. The beam will be visible to anyone with IR sensitive optics, however.
- OPTICS: THERMAL IMAGER: Range: 2000 feet (610 m). A passive optical heat sensor
that detects infrared radiation projected by warm objects and converts that data into a
false-color visible image. The system enables the pilot to see in the dark, in shadows,
and through smoke, and also adds a +10% bonus to pilots using a tracking skill.
- MIKOYAN 105 RADAR: 100 mile range.
- RADIO/VIDEO COMMUNICATION: Long range, directional communications system with
satellite relay capabilities. Range: 600 miles (960 km) or can be boosted indefinitely via
- SELF-DESTRUCT: To prevent capture of an advance variable fighter by the enemy,
the pilot can activate the Blue Max self-destruct system, which will cause the fighter to
explode after a delay of up to 60 minutes (time is set by the pilot). The explosive damage
is contained within a 20 foot (6 m) area and inflicts 1D6x10 M.D. to everything within the
radius of the explosion. All internal systems are obliterated. The escape pod will be
automatically ejected prior to the explosion unless the pilot overrides the ejection
- STANDARD SURVIVAL KIT: Inside the small reinforced box is a medium-sized
flashlight, two hand flares, one rocket flare, a compass, infrared distancing binoculars,
a small mirror, a pocket knife, dehydrated and concentrated food (can be stretched into a
five day supply for one person) and basic first aid items (aspirin, bandages,
- TACTICAL LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEM: The Tigercat cockpit is pressurized, and also
provides additional air feeds to the pilot's flight suit that provides him with
pressurized breathing. The REF flight suit also contains an upper and lower g-suit that
promotes blood circulation even during high-g turns, thus decreasing the possibility of
pilot's blacking out in combat.
- GUREVICH-16 ACTIVE SENSOR JAMMER
- CHAFF AND FLARE DISPENSER:12 chaff and 12 flares are stored in each
COMBAT BONUSES FOR BLUE MAX TRAINING:
- 1 attacks per melee (plus those of the pilot).
- Add one additional action/attack at levels six and eleven.
- +0 to strike
- +2 in guardian, and +4 in jet mode.
- +1 to roll with a punch or fall with an impact, reducing damage by half.
- Critical strike same as pilot's hand-to-hand.
REFERENCES USED IN THIS DESIGN
- Robotech Technical Files: Veritech Valkyrie
- Palladium Books: "Robotech The Roll Playing Game"
- The Robotech Page:
Back to Mecha Home