Marglar Recon Unit - "Invid Arachnid"
(Version 1.00 - Last updated: 5/12/98)
- RPG Translation and History by
- Based on an original mecha design by John and Jason Waltrip
Published in Eternity Comics "Robotech The Sentinels Book 4 #8."
History of Black Death
Early in the design of the Black Death Destroyers, Invid research scientists became
aware of the need for a replacement for the venerable Crann design. The Invid Regent
was fully supportive of the project. He foresaw a time in which every Invid mecha
would be either one of his Inorganics or one of his Black Death
Destroyers. Taking from the Crann, the Marglar was to be moderately armed, as
compared to other Black Death Destroyers, but highly mobile. Thus the Marglar was given
flight ability. The Margar was also given a revolutionary new protoculture sensor.
Although not nearly as sensitive as those appearing later in the Regis forces, the
sensor provided a great tactical advantage.
Approximately 1,000 Arachnids were created. Most were stationed in the outer
planetary systems of the Invid Empire. However, the limited number and lateness in
the deployment did little to determine the outcome of the war.
Theoretically, the use of a protoculture sensor should have prevented
the REF from surprising Invid outposts. However, this proved not the case.
The Regent ordered that all the Black Death Destroyers deployed in groups.
This prevented ,the highly adept at reconnaissance, Marglar from patrolling areas
outside the Invid outposts and detect any incoming REF attack groups. Although, the
Marglar was highly successful, none survived through the Sentinels campaigns.
However, part of the Marglar survives as the Regis incorporated the protoculture
sensor as standard equipment on all her mecha after 2035.
- Vehicle Type: One person all weather aerospace-reconnaissance mecha
- Class: Invid combat mecha
Manufacturer: Invid Regent / Regis
Crew: One pilot type 3 or 4 Invid
MDC BY LOCATION:
|Upper Arms (2)
|Legs & Feet (2)
|Main Engine Thruster (rear) (1)
|(3) Protoculture sensor [top of body] (1)
|(2) Sensor Eye
|(1) Main Body
|Reinforced Pilots Compartment
- Depleting the MDC of the main body will destroy the mecha.
- The sensor eye is the most vulnerable place on the Invid's mecha body. Destruction
of the sensor eye will destroy the mecha and pilot. However, it is a small target
protected by surrounding shielding, thus, to hit the player must make a called shot at -3.
- The protoculture sensor is located on the top of the body. However, it is a small
target, -3 to strike.
- 400 kph in planetary atmospheres
- 80 kph
- 20 m
- 5.0 m
- 12.0 metric tonnes
- PHYSICAL STRENGTH:
- Equal to a P.S. of 60
- POWER PLANT:
- 2 x Zyerri protoculture generator, same as shock trooper, with 12 protoculture
- Propulsion in Spaceborne operations:
- Engines: two vectorable thruster port with total output of 90 kN
- Delta V:
- 25 kps
- Generator Endurance:
- 1 month of continual use
- FOUR PL-3L PLASMA CANNONS: The Invid Arachnid has four plasma cannons mounted on
each.. Each cannon is the same design as that on the armored scout (see picture
above). All four are targeted together.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Assault
- SECONDARY PURPOSE: Anti-mecha
- RANGE: 4000 ft (1200m)
- DAMAGE: One single blast 1D6 MDC, dual blasts 2D6, quadruple blast 4D6,
or quadruple bursts 8D6
- RATE OF FIRE: Five attacks per melee
- PAYLOAD: Unlimited
- HAND TO HAND COMBAT:. Like all Invid mecha the Invid Arachnid possesses a
considerable ability to engage in hand to hand combat
- Punch/Claw: 4d6*3
- Crush with Hand: 1d6*3
- Tear or Pry: 1d6*3
- Kick: 2d6*3
- Body Block/Tackle: 2d6*3.
- Stomp: 1d4*3 MDC (only effective against small objects)
STANDARD EQUIPMENT FOR INVID ARACHNID:
- PROTOCULTURE SENSOR: The Arachnid has a first generation
protoculutre sensor, providing detection and tracking of active Protoculture-powered
turbines. For detection of a high-power Veritech Fighter (such as an Alpha), good
resolution extends out to 2km, fair resolution out to 5km, and poor resolution out to
12km. A typical Destroid is detectable at slightly more than half these distances, a
Cyclone at four percent of these distances, and a Gallant rifle at about one percent of
these distances. This was the first and only Invid Regent mecha that had a
- EXTERNAL AUDIO PICKUP: Range: 150 ft (91.5 m).
- OPTICS [VISUAL]: Capable of times 4 magnification
- OPTICS [NIGHTVISION]: Range: 200 meters. A passive light image
intensifier that emits no light of its own, but relies on ambient light which is
electronically amplified to produce a visible picture. However the system is more
primitive than standard REF or Robotech forces.
- SHORT RANGE ULTRASONIC MOTION TRACKERS: Range - 400 ft.
COMBAT BONUSES FOR INVID ARACHNID:
- 6 attacks per melee
- +2 on initiative
- +2 strike (+3/+2/+1 with Protoculture sensor at short/medium/long)
- +3 parry
- +2 dodge
- +3 to roll with the punch
- Related abilities: Prowl - 65%, Detect Ambush - 70%, Detect Concealment - 30%,
Track - 30%
SOURCES USED IN CREATION OF DOCUMENT
- Palladium's Robotech RPG: Invid Invasion
- The Robotech Technical Files: Gurab Shock Trooper and Ligaa Armored Scout
Back to Equipment Home