RDF LDR-04 "MAVERICK"
(Version 1.00 - Last updated:
- RPG Stats and Background by Kenneth
- Background Information derived from Robotech
- Illustration by Kazutaka Miyatake
SDF-1was making its 12 month to return trip to Earth, weapon designers with the
Robotech Defense Forces carefully scrutinized the combat data from the
continuing battles with the Zentraedi forces. The original Destroids were
designed with only preliminary information on the military capability of the
Zentraedi military. Several newer Destroid designs were created using the
hard earned experience of the past 4 months. The need for a heavily armed
unit capable of point defense from 10 to 50 kilometers was obvious. The
RDF Spartan was capable to long range defense of the SDF-1 while the other
destroid designs were effective out to approximately 10 kilometers.
The LDF-04 Maverick was designed for medium range point defense
on RDF capital ships. The basic frame of the RDF Spartan was kept; however the
exterior torso armor and missile launchers were changed. In place of the
massive 44 long range missiles mounted on either shoulder several smaller
missile launchers were added. Two MM-8 medium range missile systems are mounted
on either shoulder capable of firing eight medium range missiles with three
reloads per launcher. Mounted underneath are six long range launchers each
holding 2 long range missiles. This gives the Maverick a total of 64
medium and 12 long range missiles. For point defense and anti-missile
protection a single 40mm caselesss Colt-17 autocannon was mounted on top.
A total of 72 Mavericks were built from July 2009 to May
2011. Forty-Five units were built on earth and stationed around Alaska
base for protection against any Zentraedi assault, while production facilities
on the SDF-1 had difficulties in adapting their production line to the newer
design. As a result a meager total of 17 units were built on the
SDF-1. During the Zentraedi assault on Earth on May 2011 all of the
Mavericks stationed around Alaska base were destroyed without firing a shot
during the subsequent Zentraedi bombardment. The remaining units were
stationed on board the SDF-1 performed admirably during the battle; however, 10
of the units were destroyed defending the SDF-1 against the waves of incoming
Zentraedi mecha. The remaining seven units were placed in reserve
immediately after the battle and were stripped for spare parts by the remaining
RDF forces during the Second Robotech War.
- Vehicle Type: One/two man, all weather heavy main battle Destroid mecha
- Class: Destroid
Manufacturer: Robotech Defense Forces
Crew: One/Two pilot(s) wearing Tactical Life Support System.
MDC BY LOCATION:
|* LHF Radar/Sensor Unit (top)
|** X-Band Radar unit (torso)
|Shoulder Joints (2)
|*** Main Body
|Reinforced Pilots Compartment
|40 mm Cannon
|Lower Missiles Launchers (6)
|Upper Missile Launchers (2)
- * Destroying top mounted surveillance radar will disable the Maverick's
long range radar system.
- * Destroying the X-Band radar system in the center torso will reduce the
effectiveness of the fire control system and the mecha will suffer a -1 to
- ***Depleting the MDC of the main body will destroy the mecha.
- 96 kph
- 20 meters without thrusters.
- 281 kph for two minutes
- MAX ENGINE THRUST:
- 2 x AST-06 dual thruster banks on back: total thrust 15 kN
- 35.7 metric tons (fully loaded)
- PHYSICAL STRENGTH:
- Equal to a P.S. of 60
- Small compartment behind pilot's seat for personal belongings
- POWER PLANT:
- Primary: 1 x RRL-1A miniaturized protoculture-cell
energizer. Output of 27 MW for a maximum of 12 years of operational
- Secondary: GE EM9G hydrogen/oxygen fuel cell, 450 kW for twelve hours.
- Optional: 1xAST-06 quad thruster on back. Maximum delta-V of
- 1x COLT M-107 40.0 AUTOCANNON: A single 40.0 mm auto-cannon is
mounted on the top of the maverick. The M-107 fires caseless
hypervelocity rounds at a rate of 200 rounds per minute. The M-107 is
primarily used for point defense against incoming targets can ranges less
than 1000m The M-107 has an internal ammunition supply of 600
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Anti-mecha
- SECONDARY PURPOSE: Anti-Missile
- RANGE: 600 m
- DAMAGE: 4D4 for a short burst, 4D6 for a medium bursts, or
1D4*10 for a full
melee burst for each gun.
- RATE OF FIRE: Equal to the combined attacks of the pilot.
- PAYLOAD: 200 rounds, or 40 short bursts, or 20 long bursts or
10 full melee bursts.
- 6x SHULIN-2 LONG RANGE MISSILE LAUNCHERS: The Maverick has
six long range missile launchers mounted under both of the medium range
missile launchers. Each launcher holds a single missile ready to fire
with a single reload.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Assault/Defense
- SECONDARY PURPOSE: Anti-personnel
- RANGE: Varies with missile type
- DAMAGE: Varies with missile type
- RATE OF FIRE: One, two, three, four, five, or all 6 missiles
- PAYLOAD: 2 missiles per launcher for a total of 12 long
- 2 x BOEING MM-8 MEDIUM RANGE MISSILE LAUNCHERS: Two medium
range missile launcher are mounted on either arm. Each missile launch
holds eight missiles ready to fire with 3 reloads for a total compliment of
40 medium range missiles per launcher.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Assault
- SECONDARY PURPOSE: Anti-Mecha
- RANGE: Varies with missile type.
- DAMAGE: Varies with missile type.
- RATE OF FIRE: One at a time or in volleys of 2, 3, 4,5,6,7,8,
- PAYLOAD: 64 medium range missiles
- HAND TO HAND COMBAT: If necessary, the Maverick can engage in melee combat rather
than use a weapon; however, hand to hand attacks are only used as a weapon
of last resort because of the unit's lack of hands.. The Maverick can execute
hand to hand attacks such as rolling with the impact, and kicks. s
- Kick: 4D6
- Leap Kick: 6D6
- Body Block/Tackle: 2D6
- Stomp: 4D6 . (only effective against small objects)
STANDARD EQUIPMENT FOR THE MAVERICK:
- COMBAT COMPUTER: The Maverick is equipped with a combat computer that can store
and analyze data during combat with hostile forces. The combat computer tracks and
identifies specific enemy targets, and has a database of over 500 images stored in memory.
The computer can identify and track up to 20 targets simultaneously.
- EXTERNAL AUDIO PICKUP: Range: 300 ft (91.5 m). A sound amplification system that
can pick up normal conversation up to 300 feet away.
- HEAT AND RADIATION SHIELDS: Special shielding prevents the penetration of life
threatening head and radiation. A radiation detection and alarm system are linked with the
shields and will sound an alarm if there is a rupture in the shields and what the levels
of radiation are.
- HOMING SIGNAL: The Maverick is equipped with a homing device that enables rescue
teams to locate a disabled craft or ejected life pod. The range of the signal is 50 miles
(640 km). Most RDF ships and veritechs can locate and track a homing signal, and the
onboard computers will automatically notify their pilots if such a signal is detected.
- THOMSON LT-3 MULTI-FREQUENCY LASER RANGER AND DESIGNATOR: Range: 10 miles (160
km). Used for increased accuracy in the striking of enemy targets and is partly
responsible for the mecha's strike bonus.
- LOUDSPEAKER: A loudspeaker system is built into the craft, which can be used to
amplify the pilot's voice up to 90 decibels.
- OPTICS: INFRARED: Range: 2000 feet (610 m). This optical system projects a beam
of infrared light that is invisible to the normal eye, but detectable by the mecha's
sensors. The system allows the pilot to detect hidden/concealed objects by their IR
reflectiveness. The beam will be visible to anyone with IR sensitive optics, however.
- OPTICS: NIGHTVISION: Range: 2000 feet (610 m). A passive light image intensifier
that emits no light of its own, but relies on ambient light which is electronically
amplified to produce a visible picture.
- OPTICS: THERMAL IMAGER: Range: 2000 feet (610 m). A passive optical heat sensor
that detects infrared radiation projected by warm objects and converts that data into a
false-color visible image. The system enables the pilot to see in the dark, in shadows,
and through smoke, and also adds a +10% bonus to pilots using a tracking skill.
- RADAR: Hughes APG-198 short range (45 km) X band pulse Doppler phased array UWB
- RAYTHEON LHF-RADAR: A long range surveillance radar is
mounted on top of the Maverick. This unit provides coverage out to 200
- RADIO/VIDEO COMMUNICATION: Long range, directional communications system with
satellite relay capabilities. Range: 100 miles (960 km) or can be boosted indefinitely via
- SELF-DESTRUCT: To prevent capture of an advance variable fighter by the enemy,
the pilot can activate the Maverick self-destruct system, which will cause the fighter
to explode after a delay of up to 60 minutes (time is set by the pilot). The explosive
damage is contained within a 20 foot (6 m) area and inflicts 1D6x10 M.D. to everything
within the radius of the explosion. All internal systems are obliterated.
- STANDARD SURVIVAL KIT: All RDFs mecha come equipped with a portable survival kit.
Inside the small reinforced box is a medium-sized flashlight, two hand flares, one rocket
flare, a compass, infrared distancing binoculars, a small mirror, a pocket knife,
dehydrated and concentrated food (can be stretched into a five day supply for one person)
and basic first aid items (aspirin, bandages, disinfectants, etc.)
- TACTICAL LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEM: The Maverick's cockpit is pressurized, and also
provides additional air feeds to the pilot's flight suit that provides him with
- ELETTRONICA RADAR WARNING RECEIVER (RWR)
- OLDEFT INFRA-RED WARNING RECEIVER (IRWR)
- WESTINGHOUSE ALQ-198(V) ACTIVE SENSOR JAMMER
- FORD CLL-3 MISSILE BOX LAUNCHERS: Three launchers
are mounted on either leg. Each box launcher can hold 4 short range
chaff/smoke/jammer loaded rocket-propelled grenades out to a maximum
distance of 250 m.
- ACTIVE MISSILE JAMMERS
COMBAT BONUSES FOR MAVERICK TRAINING:
- 2 attacks per melee (plus those of the pilot).
- Add one additional action/attack at levels six and eleven.
- +2 to strike
- +0 to parry
- +1 to dodge
- +2 to roll with a punch or fall with an impact, reducing damage by half.
- Critical strike same as pilot's hand-to-hand.
REFERENCES USED IN THIS DESIGN
- Robotech Technical Files: RDF Destroids
- Palladium Books: Robotech The Roll Playing Game
- New Macross Archives: LDR-04 Maverick
- Macross: Remember ME NEC PC9801
Back to Mecha Home