VAX-3 "FIRESTORM" VALKYRIE
(Version 1.00 - Last updated: 9/16/98)
- Background and RPG Statistics by Kenneth
- Background Information
derived from Robotech Technical
As planning for
the Robotech Expeditionary Force (REF) began in earnest in 2012, the mission planners came
to the realization that new transforming fighters would have to be created. Fighters
would have to be designed for air superiority missions, ground support, ELINT roles, as
well as long range reconnaissance. As of that time, no RDF possessed no variable
fighter which could fulfill the roll of a heavy bomber.
The tactics of the Robotech Masters, besides the tiny amount of
intelligence that the allied Zentraedi were able to provided, were almost completely
unknown. Mission planners felt that the RDF should possess a new heavy bomber for
the upcoming mission and to use against the malcontent Zentraedi that were launching
attacks from their hidden bases in the Zentraedi control zone.
The VAX-3 "Firestorm" heavy bomber valkyrie fighter was
rolled out on November 23, 2015 with the first operational VAX-3 bomber wing forming later
that next year. The VAX-3's were immediately put into action in South America
launching long range missiles and bombing runs against suspected Zentraedi bases. It
was discovered that these types of attacks were not very effective against rogue Zentraedi
because the location of many of the bases were not known to a high degree of precision.
This meant that the GPS guided long range missiles would strike the coordinates
correctly but the base often would be kilometers away. Typically this meant that
strikes against Malcontent's bases had to be performed at close range. This was a
task that the VAX-3 was not suited to because of its large size and lack of short range
The VAX-3 "Firestorm" project was canceled in 2022, after the
VBF-9 "Beta" fighter proved to be a much better heavy fighter/bomber design.
All of the surviving 7 of the initial 15 VAF-3X's were placed into mothballs in the
RDF depot outside of New Albuquerque base. The design was not brought out during the
2nd Robotech War, as many in the RDF high command felt that the bomber was completely
unsuited against the Robotech Masters. All of the VAX-3s were believed to have been
destroyed once the Invid atomized the base in May 15, 2033.
- Vehicle Type: VAX-3 Firestorm Heavy Bomber Valkyrie Fighter
- Class: Variable Fighter
Manufacturer: Robotech Defense Forces
Crew: One pilot wearing Tactical Life Support System.
MDC BY LOCATION:
|(2) Main Body
|Reinforced Pilots Compartment
|Retractable Utility Arms
- Destroying the sensor head of the VAX-3 will knock out the mecha's major sensor systems,
including all of the optics systems (infrared, nightvision, thermal). Radar and
communications will be unaffected.
- Depleting the MDC of the main body will destroy the mecha.
RUNNING, SOLDIER CONFIGURATION:
- 40 kph
- LEAPING, SOLDIER CONFIGURATION:
- 50 ft (15 m) high or 70 ft (21 m) long without thrusters.
- FLYING, SOLDIER CONFIGURATION:
- 150 kph
- FLYING, GERWALK/SOLDIER CONFIGURATION:
- Mach 0.25 (280 kmph) maximum speed limit in an Earth-like atmosphere. Can also hover in
- FLYING, FIGHTER CONFIGURATION:
- Max level speed at sea level : Mach 0.8
Max level speed at 10km: Mach 1.5
Max level speed at 30+ km: Mach 2.0
- Stall speed : 182 kph (VTOL rectification possible)
Initial climb rate : over 5000m per minute
Service ceiling : 40 km (unboosted).
MAX ENGINE THRUST:
- 4 x GE F-218 FUSION TURBINES: Two engines are mounted in each
engine blister. Each engine has an output of 250 kN at max power.. Exhaust nozzles
allow for vector thrust, serving in place of conventional elevators. System includes two
reverse-vernier thrusters, on blisters outboard of each intake; exhaust comes directly
from main turbine at a maximum of 20% thrust.
- 16 x G-17 HIGH-THRUST VERNIER THRUSTERS
- 26.7m in soldier configuration.
- 20.7m in gerwalk configuration.
- 8.3m in fighter configuration.
- 12.1m at shoulders in soldier and gerwalk configuration.
- 55.8m with wings at maximum extension.
- 5.0m in soldier configuration.
- 24.0m in gerwalk configuration.
- 24.0m in fighter configuration.
- 100,000 kg empty.
- PHYSICAL STRENGTH:
- Equal to a P.S. of 60
- Cargo compartment behind weapon's officer seat for personal belongings.
- POWER PLANT:
- Four Tirolian mecha protoculture-generators RA-5d providing a total of 2000 MW
- Delta V:
- 350 kps
- COMPATIBLE FAST PACKS :
3 x EP-4 THREE-BARRELED 80MM PARTICLE GUN POD: Two weapons are mounted on either
side of the reinforced pilot's compartment and one underneath. These weapons were
included as weapons of last resort, as the Firestorm normally will launch its payload long
before any enemies are within the EP-4's weapon range. Each EP-4 can fire 9 MJ
bursts of particle energy every second and is powered by the main protoculture generators.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Defense
- SECONDARY PURPOSE: Anti-Mecha
- RANGE: 2000 m
- DAMAGE: 1d4*10 for each single shot, or 2d4*10 for each dual shot.
- RATE OF FIRE: Single shots equal to the combined attacks of the pilot.
- PAYLOAD: Conditionally unlimited.
- 12 x BODY/WING HARD POINTS: Six hard points are mounted under each wing.
A single hard point is mounted on either wing and four under the main
fuselage. Each hard point can carry: 15 short range missiles, 5 medium range
missiles or 2 long range missiles.
- 2 x INTERNAL WEAPON'S BAYS: Each weapon's bay can hold up
to 20,000 kg of ordnance. This can include the following:
- 20 long range missiles (In volleys of 1,2,3 or 4)
- 40 medium range missiles (In volleys of 1,2, 3 or 4)
- 80 x 250 KG laser guided HE bombs.
- 40 x 500 KG cluster bombs:
- 20 x 1000 KG armor piercing self-guided glide bombs.
- HAND TO HAND COMBAT: If necessary, the VAX-3 can engage in melee combat rather
than use a weapon. The Firestorm can execute most typical hand to hand combat moves, such
as punches, jump kicks, leap attacks, rolling with impacts, etc.
- Punch in Battloid: 3D6*3
- Punch in Guardian: 3D4*3
- Kick: 3D6*3
- Leap Kick: 6D6*3
- Body Block/Tackle: 3D6*3
- Stomp: 6D6*3 . (only effective against small objects)
STANDARD EQUIPMENT FOR THE VAX-3:
- AUTO-PILOT: The Firestorm is equipped with a computerized auto-pilot, allowing
the pilot to relax or even sleep during long voyages. The auto- pilot can be programmed
with a single destination or a complex flight plan involving multiple speeds, directions,
and destinations. The onboard computer will alert the pilot when the fighter is near its
destination, and can also be set to automatically signal when sensors detect objects near
the mecha. The auto-pilot was designed with long intra-system space journeys in mind.
- COMBAT COMPUTER: The combat computer tracks and identifies specific enemy
targets, and has a database of over 10,000 images stored in memory. The computer can
identify and track up to 250 targets simultaneously.
- EXTERNAL AUDIO PICKUP: Range: 300 ft (91.5 m). A sound amplification system that
can pick up normal conversation up to 300 feet away.
- HEAT AND RADIATION SHIELDS: Special shielding prevents the penetration of life
threatening head and radiation. A radiation detection and alarm system are linked with the
shields and will sound an alarm if there is a rupture in the shields and what the levels
of radiation are.
- HOMING SIGNAL: The escape pod of the Firestorm is equipped with a homing
device that enables rescue teams to locate a disabled craft or ejected life pod. The range
of the signal is 400 miles (640 km). Most RDF ships and veritechs can locate and track a
homing signal, and the onboard computers will automatically notify their pilots if such a
signal is detected.
- LASER TARGETING SYSTEM: Range: 100 miles (160 km). Used for increased accuracy in
the striking of enemy targets and is partly responsible for the mecha's strike bonus.
- LOUDSPEAKER: A loudspeaker system is built into the craft, which can be used to
amplify the pilot's voice up to 90 decibels.
- OPTICS: INFRARED: Range: 2000 feet (610 m). This optical system projects a beam
of infrared light that is invisible to the normal eye, but detectable by the mecha's
sensors. The system allows the pilot to detect hidden/concealed objects by their IR
reflectiveness. The beam will be visible to anyone with IR sensitive optics, however.
- OPTICS: NIGHTVISION: Range: 2000 feet (610 m). A passive light image intensifier
that emits no light of its own, but relies on ambient light which is electronically
amplified to produce a visible picture.
- OPTICS: THERMAL IMAGER: Range: 2000 feet (610 m). A passive optical heat sensor
that detects infrared radiation projected by warm objects and converts that data into a
false-color visible image. The system enables the pilot to see in the dark, in shadows,
and through smoke, and also adds a +10% bonus to pilots using a tracking skill.
- WESTINGHOUSE APY-7 MULTI-BAD INTERLEAVED MULTI-MODE RADAR SYSTEM: (500 mile range)
providing spherical very-long-range detection and tracking of targets at all
altitudes in addition to medium range imaging and target identification. This system
includes passive modes for "stealthy" detection of targets. This provided
very long range detection and tracking of all targets.
- RADIO/VIDEO COMMUNICATION: Long range, directional communications system with
satellite relay capabilities. Range: 600 miles (960 km) or can be boosted indefinitely via
- SELF-DESTRUCT: To prevent capture of an advance variable fighter by the enemy,
the pilot can activate the Firestorm's self-destruct system, which will cause the
fighter to explode after a delay of up to 60 minutes (time is set by the pilot). The
explosive damage is contained within a 20 foot (6 m) area and inflicts 4D6x10 M.D. to
everything within the radius of the explosion. All internal systems are obliterated. The
escape pod will be automatically ejected prior to the explosion unless the pilot overrides
the ejection sequence.
- STANDARD SURVIVAL KIT: All RDF veritecs come equipped with a portable survival
kit. Inside the small reinforced box is a medium-sized flashlight, two hand flares, one
rocket flare, a compass, infrared distancing binoculars, a small mirror, a pocket knife,
dehydrated and concentrated food (can be stretched into a five day supply for one person)
and basic first aid items (aspirin, bandages, disinfectants, etc.)
- TACTICAL LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEM: The VAX-3's cockpit is pressurized, and also
provides additional air feeds to the pilot's flight suit that provides him with
pressurized breathing. The RDF flight suit also contains an upper and lower g-suit that
promotes blood circulation even during high-g turns, thus decreasing the possibility of
pilot's blacking out in combat.
- ELETTRONICA RADAR WARNING RECEIVER (RWR)
- OLDELFT INFRA-RED WARNING RECEIVER (IRWR)
- WESTINGHOUSE QRC-100 INFRA-RED COUNTER MEASURES (IRCM)
- THOMSON ASD-52 SIGNAL DETECTOR/RECEIVER
- WESTINGHOUSE ALQ-249 ACTIVE JAMMER DISPENSERS
- CHAFF AND FLARE DISPENSERS: 12 chaff and 12 flares are stored in
each lower leg
COMBAT BONUSES FOR VAX-3 TRAINING:
- 1 attack per melee (plus those of the pilot and weapons officer).
- Add one additional action/attack at levels six and eleven.
- +1 to strike
- +0 to parry
- +0 to dodge in solder, +1 in guardian, and +2 in jet mode.
- +1 to roll with a punch or fall with an impact, reducing damage by half.
- Critical strike same as pilot's hand-to-hand.
REFERENCES USED IN THIS DESIGN
- Robotech Technical Files: Veritech Valkyrie
- Palladium Books: "Robotech The Roll Playing Game"
Back to Mecha Home