XVF-1K VALKYRIE FIGHTER
(Version 1.00 - Last updated: 7/29/98)
- Background and RPG Statistics by Kenneth
- Background Information
derived from Robotech Technical
planning for the Robotech Expeditionary force began in 2012, several new mecha designs
were proposed for the next generation of advanced transforming fighters. One such
design was the XVF-1K. The design was fairly conventional, 90% of the components were
taken directly from the original VF series of veritechs. This is evident as the
basic airframe was kept However, several internal improvements were made.
First, the engines were upgraded to Nakajima/P&W/Rolls-Royce FF-2002 model
which could produce 20% more thrust than the 2001-D model found on the VF-1S. In
addition, the armor was improved using the newer Choblam Lamar
The armament underwent some moderate changes. The venerable GU-11 gun pod
was replaced with a more advanced GA-10 gauss rifle. This weapon had a range of 3 km
and could fire 40 mm nickel slugs once per second. The GA-10 had a internal
ammunition supply of 60 rounds. The older nose blister head lasers were removed and
instead the head lasers were upgraded to the MoV-20 series of laser cannons.
Designers felt that the power plant could not provided adequate generation capacity
for both nose and head lasers, and as such chose the head lasers because of their capacity
to fire in all modes.
Initial testing began on November 15 2013 at RDF New Albuquerque base. The XVF-1K
proved itself an excellent fighter easily surpassing all of the combat statistics for the
older VF series of veritechs. Only a single problem arose with the fighter. The
induction coils in the GA-10 series gauss rifle could misfire and destroy the weapon.
However, weapon designers felt that given enough time this problem could be fixed.
Unfortunately for the XVF-1K team, the XVF-4 series of veritechs proved to be the
superior fighter in all respects. The RDF high command came to the decision in
January of 2014 that the VF-4 Lightning would become the next main transforming fighter
and ordered all subsequent designs canceled and the fighters mothballed. The
remaining 15 XVF-K series of fighters were placed in storage outside of Monument city.
This could have been the end of the XVF-1K; however in January of 2030 during the
beginning stages of the 2nd Robotech War, the remaining XVF-1K series of veritech fighters
were brought back out and reformed into the 271th squadron "Black Hats" flying
out of Folker Field. The squadron was able to refurbish 10 of the remaining 15
fighters with more advanced electronics and armor, such that the fighters were now roughly
equivalent to the VF-1M "Morningstar" upgrade.
The GA-10 gauss rifle was discarded in favor of the more reliable GU-111 series of gun pods.
The squadron distinguished itself shooting down three assault crafts during the final
stages of the Second Robotech War. Unfortunately, the 271th was completely destroyed
when a Robotech Master assault shuttle completely obliterated Folker Field with its
Electro-beam cannon during the final battle of the 2nd Robotech War. No examples of
the XVF-1K were known to survive.
- Vehicle Type: XVF-1K Experimental Valkyrie Fighter
- Class: Variable Fighter
Manufacturer: Robotech Defense Forces
Crew: One pilot wearing Tactical Life Support System.
MDC BY LOCATION:
|Head Lasers (1, 2, or 4)
|(2) Main Body
|Reinforced Pilots Compartment
|Retractable Utility Arms
- Destroying the sensor head of the 1K will knock out the mecha's major sensor systems,
including all of the optics systems (infrared, nightvision, thermal). Radar and
communications will be unaffected.
- Depleting the MDC of the main body will destroy the mecha.
- RUNNING, SOLDIER CONFIGURATION:
- 180 kph
- LEAPING, SOLDIER CONFIGURATION:
- 50 ft (15 m) high or 70 ft (21 m) long without thrusters.
- FLYING, SOLDIER CONFIGURATION:
- 300 kph / 400 kph for (A,B,G,H,I,T)
- FLYING, GERWALK/SOLDIER CONFIGURATION:
- Mach One (670 mph/1072 kmph) maximum speed limit in an Earth-like atmosphere. Can also
hover in place indefinitely.
- FLYING, FIGHTER CONFIGURATION:
- Max level speed at sea level : Mach 1.2
Max level speed at 10km: Mach 3.2
Max level speed at 30+ km: Mach 5.0
- Stall speed : 182 kph (VTOL rectification possible)
Initial climb rate : over 35000m per minute
Service ceiling : 40 km (unboosted).
MAX ENGINE THRUST:
- Two Nakajima/P&W/Rolls-Royce FF-2002 fusion turbines, total engine
output 275kN total at max. power; 550 kN are available with overboost. Exhaust nozzles
allow for vector thrust, serving in place of conventional elevators. System includes two
reverse-vernier thrusters, on blisters outboard of each intake; exhaust comes directly
from main turbine at a maximum of 20% thrust.
- Four Nakajima NBS-1 high-thrust vernier thrusters, one on the ventral
in fighter mode, three in the 'backpack' in
Guardian and Battloid modes.
- 16.7m in soldier configuration.
- 11.7m in gerwalk configuration.
- 6.3m in fighter configuration.
- 9.1m at shoulders in soldier and gerwalk configuration.
- 14.8m with wings at maximum extension.
- 5.0m in soldier configuration.
- 11.3m in gerwalk configuration.
- 14.0m in fighter configuration.
- 23,000 kg empty.
- PHYSICAL STRENGTH:
- Equal to a P.S. of 60
- Small compartment behind pilot's seat for personal belongings in addition to the cyclone
- POWER PLANT:
- Two Tirolian mecha protoculture-generators RT-5d providing a total of 700 MW
- Delta V:
- 100 kps
- COMPATIBLE FAST PACKS
(Macross Mecha Designs):
- Dorsal: NP-BP-01, NP-BP-02, NR-BP-T1, NP-BP-10, NP-BP-11, NP-BP-12, NP-BP-19
Arm: NP-AR-01, NP-AU-T1
Leg: NP-FB-01, NP-FB-T1, NP-FB-10
- GA-10 50 MM GAUSS RIFLE: firing 60 rounds per minute
with 60 rounds stored internally. The RDF briefly considered replacing the GU series
of gun pods with gauss rifles. However, early experiments showed that these weapons were
completely unsuited to battlefield operations as the induction coils tended to explode,
destroying the weapon in the process.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Assault
- SECONDARY PURPOSE: Anti-Mecha
- RANGE: 3 km
- DAMAGE: 1d6*10 per single shot
- RATE OF FIRE: Single shots equal to the combined attacks of the pilot.
- PAYLOAD: 60 rounds stored internally
- NOTES: On a strike roll of 1, the induction coils will explode
destroying the weapon
- 2 x MAUSER RöV-20 HEAD LASER CANNONS HEAD: The head lasers were upgraded
to the RoV-20 laser cannons. These cannons are identical to those mounted in the
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Anti-missile
- SECONDARY PURPOSE: Assault
- RANGE: 1200 m
- DAMAGE: 3d6 for each single shot or 6d6 for each dual shot.
- RATE OF FIRE: Single shots equal to the combined attacks of the pilot.
- PAYLOAD: Conditionally unlimited.
- BODY/WING HARD POINTS: Two fixed hard points are mounted on each wing.
These hard points can be used to carry 15 short range missiles, 5 medium range
missiles or 2
long range missiles.
- HAND TO HAND COMBAT: If necessary, the 1K can engage in melee combat rather than
use a weapon. The VF-1K is extremely agile and can execute most typical hand to hand
combat moves, such as punches, jump kicks, leap attacks, rolling with impacts, etc.
- Punch in Battloid: 3D6*3
- Punch in Guardian: 3D4*3
- Kick: 3D6*3
- Leap Kick: 6D6*3
- Body Flip/Throw: 3D6*3
- Body Block/Tackle: 3D6*3
- Stomp: 6D6*3 . (only effective against small objects)
STANDARD EQUIPMENT FOR THE XVF-1K:
- AUTO-PILOT: The 1K is equipped with a computerized auto-pilot, allowing the pilot
to relax or even sleep during long voyages. The auto- pilot can be programmed with a
single destination or a complex flight plan involving multiple speeds, directions, and
destinations. The onboard computer will alert the pilot when the fighter is near its
destination, and can also be set to automatically signal when sensors detect objects near
the mecha. The auto-pilot was designed with long intra-system space journeys in mind.
- COMBAT COMPUTER: The combat computer tracks and identifies specific enemy
targets, and has a database of over 10,000 images stored in memory. The computer can
identify and track up to 250 targets simultaneously.
- EXTERNAL AUDIO PICKUP: Range: 300 ft (91.5 m). A sound amplification system that
can pick up normal conversation up to 300 feet away.
- HEAT AND RADIATION SHIELDS: Special shielding prevents the penetration of life
threatening head and radiation. A radiation detection and alarm system are linked with the
shields and will sound an alarm if there is a rupture in the shields and what the levels
of radiation are.
- HOMING SIGNAL: The escape pod of the XVF-1K is equipped with a homing
device that enables rescue teams to locate a disabled craft or ejected life pod. The range
of the signal is 400 miles (640 km). Most REF ships and veritecs can locate and track a
homing signal, and the onboard computers will automatically notify their pilots if such a
signal is detected.
- LASER TARGETING SYSTEM: Range: 100 miles (160 km). Used for increased accuracy in
the striking of enemy targets and is partly responsible for the mecha's strike bonus.
- LOUDSPEAKER: A loudspeaker system is built into the craft, which can be used to
amplify the pilot's voice up to 90 decibels.
- OPTICS: INFRARED: Range: 2000 feet (610 m). This optical system projects a beam
of infrared light that is invisible to the normal eye, but detectable by the mecha's
sensors. The system allows the pilot to detect hidden/concealed objects by their IR
reflectiveness. The beam will be visible to anyone with IR sensitive optics, however.
- OPTICS: NIGHTVISION: Range: 2000 feet (610 m). A passive light image intensifier
that emits no light of its own, but relies on ambient light which is electronically
amplified to produce a visible picture.
- OPTICS: THERMAL IMAGER: Range: 2000 feet (610 m). A passive optical heat sensor
that detects infrared radiation projected by warm objects and converts that data into a
false-color visible image. The system enables the pilot to see in the dark, in shadows,
and through smoke, and also adds a +10% bonus to pilots using a tracking skill.
- RADAR: 200 mile range.
- RADIO/VIDEO COMMUNICATION: Long range, directional communications system with
satellite relay capabilities. Range: 600 miles (960 km) or can be boosted indefinitely via
- SELF-DESTRUCT: To prevent capture of an advance variable fighter by the enemy,
the pilot can activate the XVF-1K self-destruct system, which will cause the fighter
to explode after a delay of up to 60 minutes (time is set by the pilot). The explosive
damage is contained within a 20 foot (6 m) area and inflicts 1D6x10 M.D. to everything
within the radius of the explosion. All internal systems are obliterated. The escape pod
will be automatically ejected prior to the explosion unless the pilot overrides the
- STANDARD SURVIVAL KIT: All RDF veritecs come equipped with a portable survival
kit. Inside the small reinforced box is a medium-sized flashlight, two hand flares, one
rocket flare, a compass, infrared distancing binoculars, a small mirror, a pocket knife,
dehydrated and concentrated food (can be stretched into a five day supply for one person)
and basic first aid items (aspirin, bandages, disinfectants, etc.)
- TACTICAL LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEM: The XVF-1K cockpit is pressurized, and also
provides additional air feeds to the pilot's flight suit that provides him with
pressurized breathing. The REF flight suit also contains an upper and lower g-suit that
promotes blood circulation even during high-g turns, thus decreasing the possibility of
pilot's blacking out in combat.
- Elettronica Radar Warning Receiver (RWR)
- OlDelft Infra-red Warning Receiver (IRWR)
- Westinghouse ALQ-250(V) active sensor jammer
- Chaff and Flare dispensers: 12 chaff and 12 flares are stored in each
COMBAT BONUSES FOR XVF-1K TRAINING:
- 3 attacks per melee (plus those of the pilot).
- Add one additional action/attack at levels six and eleven.
- +1 to strike
- +2 to parry
- +2 to dodge in solder, +4 in guardian, and +6 in jet mode.
- +3 to roll with a punch or fall with an impact, reducing damage by half.
- Critical strike same as pilot's hand-to-hand.
REFERENCES USED IN THIS DESIGN
- Robotech Technical Files: Veritech Valkyrie
- Palladium Books: "Robotech The Roll Playing Game"
Back to Mecha Home