VF-X-24 "GHOST" VERITECH FIGHTER
(Version 1.00 - Last updated:
- Concept and Background by Kenneth
Based on an original mecha design published in
Macross Design Works
At the conclusion of the First Robotech War, the United Earth Government
ordered a top down review of the Robotech Defense Forces. At the minimum, a new
variable aerospace superiority veritech would have to be designed for the
Robotech Expeditionary Forces. By 2014 two main competitors had worked
themselves to the forefront, an upgraded version of the
VF-4 "Lightning" and
newer VF-6 "Alpha" fighter. Boeing Aerospace had also submitted a design for
consideration, the VF-X-24 or "Ghost" fighter.
The VF-X-24 was designed from the ground up as a second generation variable
fighter. Armored with the most advanced Chobham armor available at the time, the
VF-X-24 was immune to all small arms and light anti-mecha weaponry. Only weapons
of 55mm or greater posed a serious threat of penetrating the armor and
inflicting damage to internal systems. To further increase the defensive
protection of the mecha, two anti-projectile arm shields are available in
The VF-X-24 was designed to fight the Robotech Masters. The craft makes use
of passive and active radar reduction techniques. The Ghost was designed to have
a median all aspect RCS of less than 0 dBsm through extensive use of radar
absorbing materials. In addition, the Ghost possesses a RRG mk1 EM absorbing
field which reduces the radar cross section to minus 20 dBsm through the use of
active radar lessening techniques. In addition to the passive systems
designed to defeat enemy systems, the Ghost was outfitted with the most advanced
sensor package available. Along with the standard package of RWR, IRWR, chaff, flares,
and ALQ-250 sensor jammers, the Ghost possesses a Hughes APG-110 X band
pulse-Doppler radar capable of long range detection and tracking of targets at
Although not possessing the heaviest weaponry and relaying on stealth to
defeat enemies, the Ghost nevertheless does possess considerable firepower.
The VF-X-24 has two internal MLT-4 missile launchers located under the main
fuselage. Each launcher can hold up to four medium range stiletto
missiles which can fire in fighter or guardian mode; however, the launchers are
blocked by the structure of the mecha in battloid mode. The unit has two
Mauser LX-24 laser cannons located in mounts on either side of the side.
Each laser is an upgraded version of the cannons placed on the VF-1 "Valkyrie"
and can fire 7 MJ pulses up to 40 times per minute. In addition to the
internal systems, the Ghost has four hardpoints mounted under the main fuselage
capable of mounting either missiles, conventional bombs, or a single gun pod.
The first Ghost fighter was delivered to the RDF in January 2019. However, by
this time the REF had made its preference for the VF-6 clear. As a result only
30 craft were completed with the final unit delivered later that same year. The
decision to use the VF-6 was most fortunate for the REF as the Invid do not make
much use of all the sensors for which the Ghost was designed to defeat. In
addition, the relative lack of weaponry would have placed the Ghost at a sever
disadvantage compared to the VF-6 alpha.
If the Robotech Masters had not invaded Earth in 2029, the history of the
VF-X-24 would have been over. However, the remaining 20 operational craft were
brought back into service in 2029 and formed into the 215th Fighter Squadron out
of RDF Albuquerque base and dubbed the "Ghost Riders". During the final two
years of the 2nd Robotech War the 215th racked up an impressive 25 to 1 kill
ratio often destroying whole compliments of bioroids before they could even
respond with counter fire. The unit was disbanded in July 2030 for lack of
replacement aircraft. All the remaining units are believed to have been
destroyed when the Invid invaded Earth and obliterated RDF Albuquerque base.
- Vehicle Type:
- Class: Variable Fighter
Manufacturer: Boeing Aerospace
Crew: One, pilot wearing Tactical Life Support
- Service History:
- VF-X-24: RDF from 2019-2025 and from 2029-2030
MDC BY LOCATION:
|Head Lasers (2)
|Head Sensor Probe
|Arm Shields / Tail Fins (2)
|Engine Thrusters (4)
|** Main Body
|Reinforced Pilots Compartment
|Retractable Utility Arms (2)
|Forward Canards (2)
- * Destroying the head of the Ghost will knock out the mecha's major sensor
systems, including all of the optics systems (infrared, nightvision, thermal). Radar and
communications will be unaffected.
- ** Depleting the MDC of the main body will destroy the mecha.
- RUNNING, SOLDIER CONFIGURATION:
- 150 kph
- LEAPING, SOLDIER CONFIGURATION:
- 50 ft (15 m) high or 70 ft (21 m) long without thrusters.
- FLYING, SOLDIER CONFIGURATION:
- 300 kph
- FLYING, GERWALK/SOLDIER CONFIGURATION:
- Mach One (670 mph/1072 kmph) maximum speed limit in an Earth-like atmosphere. Can also
hover in place indefinitely.
- FLYING, FIGHTER CONFIGURATION:
- Max level speed at sea level : Mach 1.5
Max level speed at 10km: Mach 4.5
Max level speed at 30+ km: 9500 kph
- Stall speed : 150 kph (VTOL rectification possible)
Initial climb rate : over 35000m per minute
Service ceiling: Ghost can enter into low orbit
MAX ENGINE THRUST:
- 4 x PRATT AND WHITNEY MRK-10 FUSION TURBINES:
Total engine output 350 kN at max. power; 620 kN are available with overboost. Exhaust nozzles
allow for vector thrust, serving in place of conventional elevators. System includes two
reverse-vernier thrusters, on blisters outboard of each intake; exhaust comes directly
from main turbine at a maximum of 20% thrust.
- 13.0 m in soldier configuration.
- 9.2 m in gerwalk configuration.
- 4.1 m in fighter configuration.
- 8.1 m at shoulders in soldier and gerwalk configuration.
- 14.1 m with wings at maximum extension.
- 14.1 m in gerwalk configuration.
- 16.1 m in fighter configuration.
- 17,100 kg empty.
- PHYSICAL STRENGTH:
- Equal to a P.S. of 60
- Small compartment behind pilot's and weapon officer's seat for personal
- POWER PLANT:
- Two RT-5E miniaturized protoculture-cell energizers providing a total of
800 MW total power
- DELTA V:
- 100 kps
- COMPATIBLE FAST PACKS
2 x MLT-4 INTERNAL MEDIUM RANGE MISSILE LAUNCHERS: Two internal
MLT-4 missile launchers are located in the main body. By placing the
missiles inside the unit, the radar cross section is Each launcher is capable
of holding four medium range missiles, typically Stiletto medium range
missiles, internally. The missiles can only be fired while the mecha is
in fighter or guardian mode and the launcher bay doors are obstructed while in
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Assault
- SECONDARY PURPOSE: Anti-Mecha
- RANGE: Varies with missile type, typically 30 km
- DAMAGE: Varies with missile type, typically 2D6*10
- RATE OF FIRE: One at a time or in volleys of two, three, or all
- PAYLOAD: Four medium range missiles per launcher for a total of
- 2 x MAUSER LX-24 HEAD LASERS: Two developmental Mauser LX-24 lasers
are mounted on the head. These head lasers were designed to be the
primary weapon of the Ghost fighter and hence replace the standard gun pods
found on earlier vertiech designs. Each head laser can fire 7 MJ pulses
of energy up to 40 times per minute. The lasers are capable of firing in
all modes, although only in guardian and battloid can they traverse 360
degrees in azimuth.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Anti-missile
- SECONDARY PURPOSE: Assault
- RANGE: 1200 m
- DAMAGE: 5D6 for each Head lasers or 1D6*10 if both are fired
- RATE OF FIRE: Single shots equal to the combined attacks of the pilot
up to ten times per melee.
- PAYLOAD: Conditionally unlimited.
- (Optional) 4 x BODY/WING HARD POINTS: Although not
recommended as the Ghost is capable of mounting weapons on four hard points,
one on each wing and two under the main boy. The addition of weaponry on
the hardpoints, however, degrades the passive radar protection that the design
of the Ghost fighter provides and hence is not recommended. Each hard
point can mount up to 1000 kg of weaponry.
- PAYLOAD HARDPOINTS: Up to 1000 kg of weapons (15
short range, 5 medium, 1 long, or gun pod)
- HAND TO HAND COMBAT: If necessary, the Ghost can engage in melee combat
rather than use a weapon. The VF-X-24 is extremely agile and can execute most
typical hand to hand combat moves, such as punches, jump kicks, leap attacks, rolling with
- Punch in Battloid: 6D6
- Punch in Guardian: 6D4
- Kick: 6D6
- Leap Kick: 1D4*10
- Body Flip/Throw: 5D6
- Body Block/Tackle: 4D6
- Stomp: 1D6*10 . (only effective against small objects)
STANDARD EQUIPMENT FOR THE GHOST:
- ACTIVE SENSOR JAMMER: Westinghouse ALQ-250(V)
active jammer providing broad band protection from VHF to Ku band.
- AUTO-PILOT: All veritechs are equipped with a computerized auto-pilot, allowing
the pilot to relax or even sleep during long voyages. The auto- pilot can be programmed
with a single destination or a complex flight plan involving multiple speeds, directions,
and destinations. The onboard computer will alert the pilot when the fighter is near its
destination, and can also be set to automatically signal when sensors detect objects near
the mecha. The auto-pilot was designed with long intra-system space journeys in mind.
- CHAFF AND FLARE DISPENSERS 40 chaff and 40 flares are stored in each
- COMBAT COMPUTER: The combat computer tracks and identifies specific enemy
targets, and has a database of over 10,000 images stored in memory. The computer can
identify and track up to 250 targets simultaneously.
- EXTERNAL AUDIO PICKUP: Range: 300 ft (91.5 m). A sound amplification system that
can pick up normal conversation up to 300 feet away.
- HEAT AND RADIATION SHIELDS: Special shielding prevents the penetration of life
threatening head and radiation. A radiation detection and alarm system are linked with the
shields and will sound an alarm if there is a rupture in the shields and what the levels
of radiation are.
- HOMING SIGNAL: The escape pod of the mecha is equipped with a
homing device that enables rescue teams to locate a disabled craft or ejected life pod.
The range of the signal is 400 miles (640 km). Most allied ships and veritechs can locate and
track a homing signal, and the onboard computers will automatically notify their pilots if
such a signal is detected.
- LASER TARGETING SYSTEM: Range: 100 miles (160 km). Used for increased accuracy in
the striking of enemy targets and is partly responsible for the mecha's strike bonus.
- LOUDSPEAKER: A loudspeaker system is built into the craft, which can be used to
amplify the pilot's voice up to 90 decibels.
- OPTICS: INFRARED: Range: 2000 feet (610 m). This optical system projects a beam
of infrared light that is invisible to the normal eye, but detectable by the mecha's
sensors. The system allows the pilot to detect hidden/concealed objects by their IR
reflectiveness. The beam will be visible to anyone with IR sensitive optics, however.
- OLDELFT INFRA-RED WARNING RECEIVER (IRWR)
- OPTICS: NIGHTVISION: Range: 2000 feet (610 m). A passive light image intensifier
that emits no light of its own, but relies on ambient light which is electronically
amplified to produce a visible picture.
- OPTICS: THERMAL IMAGER: Range: 2000 feet (610 m). A passive optical heat sensor
that detects infrared radiation projected by warm objects and converts that data into a
false-color visible image. The system enables the pilot to see in the dark, in shadows,
and through smoke, and also adds a +10% bonus to pilots using a tracking skill.
- RADAR: Huges X-band pulse Doppler radar. Detection range
against 0 dBsm target 150 km
- RADAR ABSORBING ELECTROMAGNETIC SKIN COVER: RRG
mark 1 strongly absorbing EM radiation from
radio through ultra-violet wavelengths, and emitting only weakly in these bandwidths
- RADAR ABSORBING FIELD GENERATOR: RRG MK1 radar absorption
field which downshifts and dampens all EM radation and emitting only weakly in
these wavelengths. NOTE: Once the mecha has lost half of its main body MDC, there is a 50% chance that the
stealth system will fail every time the main body of the craft is hit. Once the stealth
system has failed, it will not work again until repaired at a RDF base.
- RADAR WARNING RECEIVER (RWR):
Elettronica radar warning receiver providing all-aspect protection.
- RADIO/VIDEO COMMUNICATION: Long range, directional communications system with
satellite relay capabilities. Range: 600 miles (960 km) or can be boosted indefinitely via
- SELF-DESTRUCT: To prevent capture of an advance variable fighter by the enemy,
the pilot can activate the self-destruct system, which will cause the fighter
to explode after a delay of up to 60 minutes (time is set by the pilot). The explosive
damage is contained within a 20 foot (6 m) area and inflicts 1D6*10 M.D. to everything
within the radius of the explosion. All internal systems are obliterated. The escape pod
will be automatically ejected prior to the explosion unless the pilot overrides the
- STANDARD SURVIVAL KIT: All mecha come equipped with a portable survival
kit. Inside the small reinforced box is a medium-sized flashlight, two hand flares, one
rocket flare, a compass, infrared distancing binoculars, a small mirror, a pocket knife,
dehydrated and concentrated food (can be stretched into a five day supply for one person)
and basic first aid items (aspirin, bandages, disinfectants, etc.)
- TACTICAL LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEM: The veritech's cockpit is pressurized, and also
provides additional air feeds to the pilot's flight suit that provides him with
pressurized breathing. The flight suit also contains an upper and lower g-suit that
promotes blood circulation even during high-g turns, thus decreasing the possibility of
pilot's blacking out in combat.
COMBAT BONUSES FOR
- 3 attacks per melee (plus those of the pilot).
- Add one additional action/attack at levels six and eleven.
- +2 to strike
- +4 to parry
- +3 to dodge in solder, +4 in guardian, and +6 in jet mode.
- +3 to roll with a punch or fall with an impact, reducing damage by half.
- Critical strike same as pilot's or weapon officer's hand-to-hand.
REFERENCES USED IN THIS DESIGN
- Robotech Technical Files: Veritech Valkyrie
- Palladium Books: "Robotech The Roll Playing Game"
Macross Design Works
Back to Mecha Home