YAV-8 "HARRIER HURRICANE"
(Version 1.00 - Last updated:
- Background and RPG Statistics by Kenneth
- Based on an original mecha design in Artmic Design Works:
In February 2003 British Aerospace entered into the advanced
variable fighter contract with what they felt the evolutionary design from
conventional fighters to the newly introduced variable fighter concept.
The YAV-8 "Harrier Hurricane" would use the basic structure of the
Harrier, which was arguable the first transformable fighter. Production rolled
along smoothly, with the YAV-8's first test flight in December of 2004, several
months in front of their three main competitors: YVM-29,
YVF-4, and the YVF-14.
The YAV-8 unlink the other three designs had a revolutionary new
gun pod. The GA-4 20mm gauss rifle. British Aerospace engineers felt
that the benefits of extended range and higher damage potential over
tradition cannon technology would be more successful in the long run.
Unfortunately, the project suffered two major setbacks only 3 months after the
first test flight. On March 15th 1st Lt Daniel Jacobsen was killed when
the Hurricane went into a uncontrolled dive during a transformation into
guardian mode. Two weeks later Captain John Douglass was severely injured
the GA-4's capacitors discharged while in flight destroying the right side of
the mecha and forcing the pilot to eject.
With two catastrophic accidents in such short order. The remaining 5 units
were ordered to stand down. This proved to be the death nail of the
project, as the YVF-14
was then just entering its testing phase, showing its superior maneuverability
and reliability to the other three designs. The Hurricane was officially
canceled on January 17th 2006. The remaining 5 units were placed into
Rumors persist that one unit survived through the the First and Second Robotech
War and continues the fight against the Invid. However, these are
unsubstantiated and highly unlikely as the mecha design would be 40 years old
and almost impossible to maintain. Nevertheless, the sightings persist of
a heavily armored and armed with internal missiles mecha that resembles the
- Vehicle Type: YAV-8 "Harrier Hurricane"
- Class: Variable Fighter
Manufacturer: British Aerospace
Crew: One pilot wearing Tactical Life Support System.
MDC BY LOCATION:
|GA-4 20mm Cannon
|* Main Body
|Reinforced Pilots Compartment
- * Depleting the MDC of the main body will destroy the mecha.
- FLYING, GERWALK CONFIGURATION:
- Mach 0.9 (900 kmph) maximum speed limit in an Earth-like atmosphere. Can also hover in
- FLYING, FIGHTER CONFIGURATION:
- Max level speed at sea level : Mach 1.0
Max level speed at 10km: Mach 1.5
Max level speed at 30+ km: Mach 3
- Stall speed : 182 kph (VTOL rectification possible)
- Range: 1500 km
Initial climb rate : over 20000m per minute
Service ceiling : 25 km (unboosted).
MAX ENGINE THRUST:
- ROLLS ROYCE FUSION PEGASUS F403-RF-503A: engine is
rated at 35,000 lbs of thrust with augmenters
- 6.1m in gerwalk configuration.
- 3.6m in fighter configuration.
- .15.5 m
- 10000 kg empty.
- PHYSICAL STRENGTH:
- Equal to a P.S. of 30
- Small compartment behind pilot's seat for personal belongings.
- COMPATIBLE FAST PACKS:
- GA-4 20MM GAUSS RIFLE :
British Aerospace designers built the first mecha deployable gauss
rifle. The weapon outperformed all the conventional weapons that were
mounted on the early variable fighters; however, it unfortunately had a very
high percentage change of accidental discharge by the internal capacitors
which would destroy the mecha and severally damage the mecha. The
problem was never solved, as the YAV-8 program was canceled.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Assault/Defense
- SECONDARY PURPOSE: Anti-mecha
- RANGE: 2500 m
- DAMAGE: 6D6 per shot
- RATE OF FIRE: Single shots equal to the combined attacks of the
- PAYLOAD: 50 shots
- NOTES: On a strike roll of '1', capacitors will discharge
destroying the weapon and causing 8D6 MDC to the side of the mecha were
the weapon was mounted.
- 5 x WING HARD POINTS: Two hard points are mounted on each wing and
one under the main body. Each hard point
can mount 15 short range, 5 medium, 2 long range missiles or 500 kg of bombs
- HAND TO HAND COMBAT: If necessary, the Hurricane can engage in melee combat rather
than use a weapon. Without a dedicated battleloid mode the Hurricane only possesses limited
hand to hand abilities.
- Kick: 3D6*3
- Leap Kick: 6D6*3
- Body Block/Tackle: 3D6*3
- Stomp: 6D6*3 . (only effective against small objects)
STANDARD EQUIPMENT FOR THE HURRICANE:
- AUTO-PILOT: The Hurricane is equipped with a computerized auto-pilot, allowing the
pilot to relax or even sleep during long voyages. The auto-pilot can be programmed with a
single destination or a complex flight plan involving multiple speeds, directions, and
destinations. The onboard computer will alert the pilot when the fighter is near its
destination, and can also be set to automatically signal when sensors detect objects near
- COMBAT COMPUTER: The combat computer tracks and identifies specific enemy
targets, and has a database of over 100 images stored in memory. The computer can identify
and track up to 5 targets simultaneously.
- EXTERNAL AUDIO PICKUP: Range: 300 ft (91.5 m). A sound amplification system that
can pick up normal conversation up to 300 feet away.
- HEAT AND RADIATION SHIELDS: Special shielding prevents the penetration of life
threatening head and radiation. A radiation detection and alarm system are linked with the
shields and will sound an alarm if there is a rupture in the shields and what the levels
of radiation are.
- LASER TARGETING SYSTEM: Range: 100 miles (160 km). Used for increased accuracy in
the striking of enemy targets and is partly responsible for the mecha's strike bonus.
- LOUDSPEAKER: A loudspeaker system is built into the craft, which can be used to
amplify the pilot's voice up to 90 decibels.
- OPTICS: INFRARED: Range: 2000 feet (610 m). This optical system projects a beam
of infrared light that is invisible to the normal eye, but detectable by the mecha's
sensors. The system allows the pilot to detect hidden/concealed objects by their IR
reflectiveness. The beam will be visible to anyone with IR sensitive optics, however.
- OPTICS: THERMAL IMAGER: Range: 2000 feet (610 m). A passive optical heat sensor
that detects infrared radiation projected by warm objects and converts that data into a
false-color visible image. The system enables the pilot to see in the dark, in shadows,
and through smoke, and also adds a +10% bonus to pilots using a tracking skill.
- RAYTHEON PX-120 RADAR: 70 mile range
- RADIO/VIDEO COMMUNICATION: Long range, directional communications system with
satellite relay capabilities. Range: 600 miles (960 km) or can be boosted indefinitely via
- SELF-DESTRUCT: To prevent capture of an advance variable fighter by the enemy,
the pilot can activate the YAV-8 self-destruct system, which will cause the fighter to
explode after a delay of up to 60 minutes (time is set by the pilot). The explosive damage
is contained within a 20 foot (6 m) area and inflicts 1D6x10 M.D. to everything within the
radius of the explosion. All internal systems are obliterated. The escape pod will be
automatically ejected prior to the explosion unless the pilot overrides the ejection
- STANDARD SURVIVAL KIT: Inside the small reinforced box is a medium-sized
flashlight, two hand flares, one rocket flare, a compass, infrared distancing binoculars,
a small mirror, a pocket knife, dehydrated and concentrated food (can be stretched into a
five day supply for one person) and basic first aid items (aspirin, bandages,
- TACTICAL LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEM: The Hurricane cockpit is pressurized, and also
provides additional air feeds to the pilot's flight suit that provides him with
pressurized breathing. The flight suit also contains an upper and lower g-suit that
promotes blood circulation even during high-g turns, thus decreasing the possibility of
pilot's blacking out in combat.
- WESTINGHOUSE ALQ-119 ECM SENSOR JAMMER
- CHAFF AND FLARE DISPENSER:12 chaff and 12 flares are stored in each
COMBAT BONUSES FOR HURRICANE TRAINING:
- 1 attack per melee (plus those of the pilot).
- Add one additional action/attack at levels six and eleven.
- +0 to strike
- +2 in guardian, and +4 in jet mode.
- +2 to roll with a punch or fall with an impact, reducing damage by half.
- Critical strike same as pilot's hand-to-hand.
REFERENCES USED IN THIS DESIGN
- Robotech Technical Files: Veritech Valkyrie
- Palladium Books: "Robotech The Roll Playing Game"
- FAS entry, AV-8 "Harrier"
Back to Mecha Home