(Version 2.1 - Last updated:
- Background and RPG Statistics by Kenneth
- Drawings by
Long Vo, Charles Park, and Saka of Udon in Wildstorm Comics "Robotech:
Love and War #1"
- Additional drawings
by Matt Willis
- Based off an original design shown in
B-Club Special #9: Artmic
Prior to the launch of the
Robotech Expeditionary Force (REF) in 2022, strategic planners envisioned a
limited campaign against a few strategic Robotech Master planets. These
planets would be bombarded from orbit and then massive quantities of ground and
veritech fighters would mop-up any remaining resistance. The heavy
artillery in any ground assault attempted by the REF was to be provided by the
newly created HWR-03 Thundercracker. Although the the HWR-03 was smaller
than its HWR-01 "Monster" predecessor, only the largest REF capital ships
had the capability of transporting the massive unit.
This strategic plan proved to be entirely inadequate, as the REF found itsself
sending fleets with relatively small numbers and correspondingly small cargo
capacities to widely dispersed planets fighting a war of liberation against the
Invid. These fleets would have limited numbers of Destroids and because of
their small size would not be capable of carrying any heavy artillery Destroid
units. Military planners soon came to the realization that an even smaller
ground support Destroid was needed which could be carried by most REF capital
ships and as a result the HWR-04 was designed. The first production models
were produced on Tirol and introduced into the REF Army and Marine Corps in
The primary weapons of the HWR-04 are two massive PBC-21 particle beam cannons
mounted on twin booms on either side of the main body. Each PBC-21 is a
miniaturized version of the arm mounted PBC-20 found on the HWR-03
Thundercracker and is capable of firing 60 MJ blasts of energy out to effective
combat range of 8 kilometers, well outside the defensive perimeter of most small
Invid hives. For close in protection and also capable of providing
assistance in destroying fortified static positions, a single DD-10 Coralsnake
missile launcher is mounted between the two particle beam cannons. The
single launcher carries ten Coralsnake
missiles in ready position, with an additional single reload of ten missiles.
In addition to the onboard weapon systems, the Tiger was normally provided with
several Destroids to provide close in support should the Invid breakthrough into
The HWR-04 Tiger was armored with the latest Chobham low-mass
composite plating providing immunity from all light anti-mecha weaponry and
excellent protection from medium class (55mm or less) and Invid annihilation
disks. The Tiger was given nearly 200% additional
armor over the VF-6 "Alpha" and was designed
to take an incredible amount of punishment. However, the mecha was very
slow and could not effectively engage Invid units which have closed to
hand-to-hand combat range and thus was potentially quite vulnerable.
Approximately 250 Tigers were created during the Sentinel war and several
units were sent back to Earth as part of the REF's attempt to reinforce the
Armies of the Southern Cross (ASC). The design proved to be incredibly effective in the roll for which it
was designed, that of long range fire support. Unfortunately, many of the units were lost when
superior numbers of Invid were able to overwhelm the limited short range defenses of the
Tiger. By the time the REF was mounting its final assault to reclaim Terra,
production of the Tiger had stopped in favor of the more maneuverable VBF-9 series
veritech fighter, which could also be used in a similar fire support roll but had the
maneuverability associated with a three form veritech.
- Vehicle Type: HWR-04 "Tiger"
- Class: Single Seat Heavy Artillery Destroid
Manufacturer: Robotech Expeditionary Force
Crew: One pilot wearing a tactical life support system.
- Service History: Served with the REF Army and Marines from
MDC BY LOCATION:
|(1) Top Sensor Pod
|PBC-21 Particle Cannons (2)
|Medium Range Missile Pod
|Upper Legs (2)
|Lower Legs (2)
|Rear Thrusters (2)
|(2) Main Body
|Reinforced Pilot's Compartment
- Destroying the top sensor pod of the Tiger will knock out the mecha's long
range sensor systems including radar and communications. All of the
mecha's major optical systems will remain unaffected (infrared, nightvision,
- Depleting the MDC of the main body will destroy the mecha.
- 60 kph maximum; cruising speed is 35 kph
- 10 ft (3 m) high or 100 ft (30 m) long without thrusters.
- DESIGNED G LIMITS:
- +12.0/-6.5 G (Computer overrides at 9.5 g)
- MAX ACCELERATION: SPACE
- 0.48 G
- DELTA V:
- 1.1 kps with 2,000 kg of D20
- 12.4 m
- 8.0 m at the Tigers widest point
- 10.4 m including cannons
- 50,500 kg empty.
- PHYSICAL STRENGTH:
- Equal to a P.S. of 60
- Small compartment behind pilot's seat for personal belongings in addition
to the cyclone storage compartment
- POWER PLANT:
- RRG Mrk-27 Protoculture energizer providing a total of 500 MW of power
- MAX ENGINE THRUST
- [Main] 2 x Pratt & Whitney JG95D: Max output of
each thruster is 118 kN each (specific impulse of 3,000 sec). These
thrusters are used only for maneuvering in spaceborne operations.
- [Auxiliary] Numerous Turbo-Union ATF-401 thrusters
Maneuvering thrusters are mounted on the legs, arms and on the main
body for use in spaceborne operations.
- FUEL CAPACITY:
- 16 standard canisters of protoculture
- 1,000 liters of D20 for reaction mass
- COMPATIBLE FAST PACKS:
- 2 x PBC-21 PARTICLE CANNONS: The primary weapon of
the HWR-04 are two massive PBC-21 particle beam cannons mounted on twin booms
on either side of the main body. Each PBC-21 is a miniaturized version
of the arm mounted PBC-20 found on the HWR-03 Thundercracker and is capable of
firing 60 MJ blasts of energy out to effective combat range of 8 kilometers.
Unfortunately the design is somewhat unwieldy and as a result have problems
striking maneuvering targets.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Assault
- SECONDARY PURPOSE: Anti-Mecha
- RANGE: 8000 m
- DAMAGE: 6D6*10 MDC
- RATE OF FIRE: Equal to the combined attacks of the pilot.
- PAYLOAD: Effectively unlimited
- NOTES: -3 to strike targets traveling faster than 100 kph
- DD-10 MULTI-MISSILE SYSTEM: Located
in the front of the Tiger between the two massive PBC-21 particle cannons is a
single DD-10 multi-missile system. The single launcher carries ten Coralsnake
missiles in ready position with an additional single reload of ten missiles.
These missiles were used primarily to assist in knocking down fortified static
positions but could be used as weapons of last resort if enemy mecha break
through into combat range.
PRIMARY PURPOSE: Assault/Defense
- SECONDARY PURPOSE: Anti-mecha
- RANGE: 8.2 km (ballistic trajectory) or 3.5 km (direct
- MAX SPEED: Mach
- High Explosive Armor Piercing (A,C): 2D4*10 MDC per
- Plasma (B,D): 2D6*10 MDC per missile
- RATE OF FIRE: One at a time or in volleys of two, four, eight,
- PAYLOAD: Twenty
- NOTES: HEAP have critical strikes on 17-20, Mark
-A and -B are +2 to strike, Mark -C and -D are +3 to strike
against Invid mecha. Subtract -5 for ballistic strikes.
- HAND TO HAND COMBAT: If necessary, the Tiger can engage in melee
combat rather than use a weapon; however, combat is limited to attacks with
the legs and body blocks.
- Kick: 6D6
- Body Block/Tackle: 4D6
- Stomp: 2D6*10 (only effective against small objects)
STANDARD EQUIPMENT FOR THE HWR-04 TIGER:
ACTIVE SENSOR JAMMER: Westinghouse ALQ-250(V) internal
ECM providing broadband protection. Estimated system effective radiative
power 50 dBW
Tiger is equipped with a computerized auto-pilot, allowing the
pilot to relax or even sleep during long voyages. The auto- pilot can be programmed with a
single destination or a complex flight plan involving multiple speeds, directions, and
destinations. The onboard computer will alert the pilot when the fighter is near its
destination, and can also be set to automatically signal when sensors detect objects near
the mecha. The auto-pilot was designed with long intra-system space journeys in mind.
- COMBAT COMPUTER: The IBM-200 combat computer tracks and identifies
specific enemy targets, and has a database of over 10,000 images stored in
memory. The computer can identify and track up to 200 targets simultaneously.
- CHAFF AND FLARE DISPENSERS AN/ALE-55: 40 chaff and 40
flares are stored in on the top of the main body firing the countermeasures
upwards and to either side of the Tiger.
- EXTERNAL AUDIO PICKUP: Range: 300 ft (91.5 m). A sound amplification system that
can pick up normal conversation up to 300 feet away.
- HEAT AND RADIATION SHIELDS: Special shielding prevents the penetration of life
threatening head and radiation. A radiation detection and alarm system are linked with the
shields and will sound an alarm if there is a rupture in the shields and what the levels
of radiation are.
- HOMING SIGNAL: The HWR-04 is equipped with a homing
device that enables rescue teams to locate a disabled craft or ejected life pod. The range
of the signal is 400 miles (640 km). Most REF ships, Veritechs, and Destroids can locate and track a
homing signal, and the onboard computers will automatically notify their pilots if such a
signal is detected.
- INFRA-RED COUNTERMEASURES: Westinghouse QRC-100 providing
protection from IR guided missiles
- INFRA-RED WARNING RECEIVER: OlDelft Infra-red Warning Receiver (IRWR)
providing all aspect coverage from IR guided missiles
- LASER RANGE FINDER / TARGETING SYSTEM: Thomson LT-5 multi-frequency laser ranger and designator (Range 30 kilometers)
- LOUDSPEAKER: A loudspeaker system is built into the craft, which can be used to
amplify the pilot's voice up to 100 decibels.
- OPTICS (INFRARED): Phillips All-View multi-band camera system
range 1000 meters. This optical system projects a beam of infrared light
that is invisible to the normal eye, but detectable by the mecha's sensors.
The system allows the pilot to detect hidden/concealed objects by their IR
reflectiveness. The beam will be visible to anyone with IR sensitive optics,
- OPTICS (NIGHTVISION): Phillips All-View multi-band camera system
range 1000 meters. A passive light image intensifier that emits no light
of its own, but relies on ambient light which is electronically amplified to
produce a visible picture.
- OPTICS (THERMAL IMAGER): Phillips All-View multi-band camera
system range 1000 meters. A passive optical heat sensor that detects infrared
radiation projected by warm objects and converts that data into a false-color
visible image. The system enables the pilot to see in the dark, in shadows,
and through smoke, and also adds a +10% bonus to pilots using a tracking
- RADIO/VIDEO COMMUNICATION: Long range, directional communications system with
satellite relay capabilities. Range: 600 miles (960 km) or can be boosted indefinitely via
- RADAR (MEDIUM RANGE / FIRE CONTROL): Hughes TPG-113 X-band
pulse-Doppler, providing spherical long-range detection and tracking of
targets at all altitudes. (Range 150 km against a 0 dBsm "Invid sized" target)
- RADAR WARNING RECEIVER: Marconi Radar Warning Receiver (RWR)
providing all aspect detection of radar guided missiles.
- SELF-DESTRUCT: To prevent capture of an advance variable fighter by
the enemy, the pilot can activate the HWR-04 self-destruct system, which will
cause the Destroid
to explode after a delay of up to 60 minutes (time is set by the pilot). The explosive
damage is contained within a 20 foot (6 m) area and inflicts 3D6*10 M.D. to everything
within the radius of the explosion. All internal systems are obliterated. The
pilot will be automatically ejected prior to the explosion unless the pilot overrides the
- SMOKE DISPENSERS: Enough smoke is stored for 30 second
of continuous coverage. After 2040, smoke was formulated to cover
protoculture emissions, hence providing temporary protection for the Tiger.
- STANDARD SURVIVAL KIT: All REF Destroids come equipped with a portable survival
kit. Inside the small reinforced box is a medium-sized flashlight, two hand flares, one
rocket flare, a compass, infrared distancing binoculars, a small mirror, a pocket knife,
dehydrated and concentrated food (can be stretched into a five day supply for one person)
and basic first aid items (aspirin, bandages, disinfectants, etc.)
- TACTICAL LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEM: The Tiger's cockpit is pressurized, and also provides
additional air feeds to the pilot's flight suit that provides him with pressurized
breathing. The REF flight suit also contains an upper and lower g-suit that promotes blood
circulation even during high-g turns, thus decreasing the possibility of pilot's blacking
out in combat.
COMBAT BONUSES FOR TIGER TRAINING:
- 2 attacks per melee (plus those of the pilot).
- Add one additional action/attack at levels six and eleven.
- +1 to strike
- +0 to dodge
- +0 to roll with a punch or fall with an impact, reducing damage by half
- Critical strike same as pilot's hand-to-hand.
COMBAT BONUSES FOR TIGER BASIC TRAINING:
- 0 attacks per melee (plus those of the pilot)
- Add one additional action/attack at levels seven and thirteen
- -1 to strike
- -2 to dodge
- -2 to roll with a punch or fall with an impact, reducing damage
- Critical strike same as pilot's hand-to-hand
Random Hit Locations
When there is an equal chance of
hitting both sides from 1D6
- 1-3 hits the right side
- 4-6 hits the left
When there is a preferred side, roll
- 1-8 hits the preferred side
- 9-10 hits the opposite side
|Top Sensor Pod (Main
|Missile Pod (Main Body)
|Rear Thrusters (Main Body)
REFERENCES USED IN THIS DESIGN
Back to Mecha Home