VR-060 "GRIFFIN" SPACE CYCLONE
(Version 1.00 - Last updated: 8/8/98)
- Concept and Background by Kenneth
- HTML form provided by Dave
As the war against the Invid Regis proceeded and the initial
waves to reclaim Earth met with disastrous results, REF military planers became aware of
the venerability of the Horizont, Garfish, and Ikazuchi class starships to massed Invid
attacks. These designs had been created with the assumption that major capital ships
would fight other major capital ships. As a result the number of anti-mecha
batteries were kept to a minimum in favor of heavier weaponry. However space battles
against the Invid, did not lead itself to this type of fight. Often, the Invid clam
ships would release their mecha before the REF space fleet could destroy them. As a
result, starships were forced to use their massive batteries in a often futile attempt to
destroy any Invid that managed to make it through the veritech fighter screens.
At the same time military planners were aware that while the starships
were attacked by incoming Invid, a majority of the cyclones were impotent. The
solution was obvious. REF designers would produce a new cyclone design which would
be predominately used in space; although, the design would be able to function in Earth
type gravity. The resulting design was the VR-060 'Griffin'. The Griffin was
not strictly speaking a veritech, as there was only a battloid mode. However, the
basic internal structure and advanced alloy armor was taken from the more traditional
The Griffin design was more heavily armed and armored than the cyclone.
The Griffin's main weaponry is four missile launchers, two on either shoulder and
two on the back. Each missile launcher contains 12 scorpion mini-missiles. The
scorpion design was chosen over the other mini-missile designs because of its improved
amour piercing capabilities. In addition, one EP-37 was mounted in each arm.
Unlike the more traditional EP-37 which is clip fed, these EP-37's are powered directly by
the protoculture generator. This limits the rate of fire for each gun to 4 short
bursts (1D4*10 MDC) for each 15 second period (1 melee). However, the advantage to
this design was that pilots would never find themselves out of ammunition.
REF high command envisioned that the Griffin design would bring about a
new revolution in anti-Invid operations. For a given invasion, a majority of the
attack fleet (roughly 2/3) would fold into a system. This first fleet would be armed
with veritech and the new Griffin space cyclone. Each Ikazuchi could now hold some
3,000 Griffin space cyclones and would now have an extremely effective anti-mecha screen.
The rest of the fleet would be on stand by some 5 light years away. After the
Griffins and the veritechs take out any space based Invid defenses, the ground invasion
forces would fold in and the invasion of the given planet could begin.
Unfortunately, only 500 units were produced before the final invasion of
Earth. These units were stationed onboard the SS. Izumo which was subsequently
destroyed during the Regis escape. However, before hand the Griffin proved itself an
extremely effective anti-Invid tool as evident from the fact that no Invid were able to
penetrate the inner defenses for the SS. Izumo. If these units had been produced in
greater numbers they would have allowed the invasion of earth to proceed much earlier.
- Vehicle Type: Veritech Space Cyclone
- Class: Powered Armor
Manufacturer: Robotech Expeditionary Forces (REF)
Crew: One pilot wearing CVR-3 body armor
MDC BY LOCATION:
|Arm Shields (2)
|(1) Main Body
|Shoulder missile launchers (2)
|Back missile launchers
|Engine Thruster (Rear) (2)
- Depleting the MDC of the main body will destroy the mecha.
- RUNNING (with booster jumps):
- 200 kph
- 100 meters without thrusters.
- 350 kph for two minutes
- MAX ENGINE THRUST:
- 2 x GE-1017 THERMAL NUCLEAR ENGINE (LEGS): [Main] fusion
plasma-air/reaction mass intermix turbines in the back. Max thrust, 50kN
- 2 x P&W PR-0718 REAR ENGINES (MOUNTED ON REAR): Maneuvering
thrusters are mounted on the back of the mecha. Max thrust, 25 kN
- 600 kg
- PHYSICAL STRENGTH:
- Equal to a P.S. of 40
- POWER PLANT:
- 2 x RRF-79 Micronized Protoculture Engine
- 2 standard canisters of Protoculture
10.9 lit. D2O reactant for fusion engines.
- Delta V:
- 25 kps
- COMPATIBLE FAST PACKS:
- 4 x GR-204 SCORPION MINI-MISSILE LAUNCHERS: The griffin has four
scorpion mini-missile launchers. Two are mounted on either shoulder and two are
mounted on the rear thruster backback. All four launchers fire foward and each
contains 12 scorpion mini-missiles. REF designers felt that the Griffin needed to
mount the most effective short range missile possible. They decided to mount 48 of
the more powerful scorpion missiles rather than additional quanities Recluse missiles
which may or may not destroy incoming invid.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Assault
- SECONDARY PURPOSE: Anti-Mecha
- RANGE: 1.4 k m
- DAMAGE: 1d6*10 for each missile
- RATE OF FIRE: One at a time or in volleys of 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 24, 36, or
- PAYLOAD: Each launcher contains 12 missiles for a total of 48.
- 2 x EP-37 12.7mm PARTICLE BEAM GUN: Mounted in each arm is a single EP-37.
Each is powered directly from the main protoculture generator. As a result the
number of shots per melee is limited to 4 for each; however, the pilot need not worry
about running out of ammunition once the battle has commenced.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Assault
- RANGE: 1200m
- DAMAGE: 1d4*10 MDC
- RATE OF FIRE: Up to four times per melee
- PAYLOAD: Effectively unlimited.
- HAND TO HAND COMBAT: If necessary, the Griffin can engage in melee combat rather
than use a weapon. The Griffin is extremely agile and can execute most typical hand
to hand combat moves, such as punches, jump kicks, leap attacks, rolling with impacts,
- Punch: 1D6*3
- Kick: 1D6*3
- Leap Kick: 2D6*3
- Body Flip/Throw: 1D6*3
- Body Block/Tackle: 1D6*3
- Stomp: 1D4*3 . (only effective against small objects)
STANDARD EQUIPMENT FOR THE GRIFFIN:
- PLANTARY REENTRY SHIELD: The Griffin can be encased in a planetary reentry
shield. This shield is used to drop the Griffin from planetary orbit for insertion
on a planet. The shield is encased with radar absorbing material for reduced
signatures, and has 100 MDC.
- HARRIS CT-12 COMBAT COMPUTER: The Griffin is equipped with a combat
computer that can store and analyze data during combat with hostile forces. The combat
computer tracks and identifies specific enemy targets, and has a database of over 500
images stored in memory. The computer can identify and track up to 100 targets
- EXTERNAL AUDIO PICKUP: Range: 300 ft (91.5 m). A sound amplification system that
can pick up normal conversation up to 300 feet away.
- HOMING SIGNAL: The Griffin is equipped with a homing device that enables
rescue teams to locate a disabled craft. The range of the signal is 400 miles (640 km).
Most REF ships and veritechs can locate and track a homing signal, and the onboard
computers will automatically notify their pilots if such a signal is detected.
- LASER TARGETING SYSTEM: Range: 10 miles (160 km). Used for increased accuracy in
the striking of enemy targets and is partly responsible for the mecha's strike bonus.
- LOUDSPEAKER: A loudspeaker system is built into the craft, which can be used to
amplify the pilot's voice up to 90 decibels.
- OPTICS: INFRARED: Range: 2000 feet (610 m). This optical system projects a beam
of infrared light that is invisible to the normal eye, but detectable by the mecha's
sensors. The system allows the pilot to detect hidden/concealed objects by their IR
reflectiveness. The beam will be visible to anyone with IR sensitive optics, however.
- OPTICS: NIGHTVISION: Range: 2000 feet (610 m). A passive light image intensifier
that emits no light of its own, but relies on ambient light which is electronically
amplified to produce a visible picture.
- OPTICS: THERMAL IMAGER: Range: 2000 feet (610 m). A passive optical heat sensor
that detects infrared radiation projected by warm objects and converts that data into a
false-color visible image. The system enables the pilot to see in the dark, in shadows,
and through smoke, and also adds a +10% bonus to pilots using a tracking skill.
- AVIONICA VR-35 SHORT RANGE MILLIMETER RADAR: 50 mile range.
- RADIO/VIDEO COMMUNICATION: Long range, directional communications system with
satellite relay capabilities. Range: 100 miles (960 km) or can be boosted indefinitely via
- TACTICAL LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEM: The Griffin is pressurized, and also provides
additional air feeds to the pilot's flight suit that provides him with pressurized
COMBAT BONUSES FOR GRIFFIN TRAINING:
- 4 attacks per melee (plus those of the pilot).
- Add one additional action/attack at levels five and ten.
- +2 to strike
- +2 to parry. Can use arm shields to block incoming attacks of any kind, punches,
blasts, and even missiles.
- +6 to dodge
- +0 to leap dodge. An automatic dodge just like the parry, with no loss of attacks
- +3 to roll with a punch or fall with an impact, reducing damage by half.
- Critical strike same as pilot's hand-to-hand.
REFERENCES USED IN THIS DESIGN
- Robotech Technical Files: Cyclone
- Palladium Books: "The Sentinels"
Back to Mecha Home