KARSREK KARBARRAN POWER ARMOR
(Version 1.01 - Last updated:
- Concept and Background by Kenneth
- Based on an original mecha design by John Waltrip, Jason Waltrip and Alphabet Soup
Published in Eternity Comics' "Invid World: Assault on Optera #1"
- HTML form provided by Dave
After Karbarra was freed from the Invid, the Karbarran Self Defense Force began a
massive rearmament program. Never again would they come under the domination of any
foreign power. A majority of the mecha produced from the rebuilt armament factories
were for the Robotech Expeditionary Forces. However, a some of the designs were modified
for the Karbarra Defense Forces, such as the VAF-6 G. Initially, the defense
forces wanted to take the proven cyclone design and modify it for the larger girth of the
Karbarran Warrior. However it soon became clear that no amount of modification
would allow a Karbarran to ever fit into a cyclone.
A second attempt to create a powered suit was started. This design was not to
include any transformation ability, but instead would replace the machinery needed with
additional thrusters and armor. This design was completed after only 6 months of
research and became the Karsrek Power Armor. The Karsrek has approximately the same
level of armor protection as the cyclone, but has improved flight ability. In place
of traditional REF weaponry, such as the EP-37 or EP-40, the Karsrek has a domestically
engineered and produced EI-17 Ion cannon which sacrifices range for damage potential and
an increased ammunition supply. In addition the Karsrek, was given planetary assault
capability with the addition of a planetary reentry shield. This would allow a
planetary assault to commence without the need to land vulnerable shuttles.
Several thousand Karsreks were built and organized unto some 12 regiments of armored
forces as well as several companies of special forces. The most famous such company
was the Rasher Assault Group which attacked Optera in an effort to assassinate the Invid
Regent. The initial drop went well, as all 10 of the group managed to infiltrate the
home hive. However, at that point everything went wrong as the entire group was
discovered while attacking a simulagent of the Invid Regent. The entire group was
annihilated; however, the Karsrek power armor proved its worth as a infiltration unit.
- Vehicle Type: Karbarra Powered Armor
- Class: Powered Armor
Manufacturer: Karbarra Self Defense Forces
Crew: One pilot
MDC BY LOCATION:
|(1) Main Body
|Engine Thruster (Rear)
|EI-17 Ion cannon
- Depleting the MDC of the main body will destroy the mecha.
- 185 kph
- 30 meters without thrusters.
- 350 kph for two minutes
- MAX ENGINE THRUST:
- 1 x Ekrin Engine [Main] fusion plasma-air/reaction mass intermix
turbines in the back. Max thrust, 10kN
- 200 kg
- PHYSICAL STRENGTH:
- Equal to a P.S. of 30
- POWER PLANT:
- 2 x KTO-21 Micronized Protoculture Engine
- 1 standard canisters of Protoculture
2.9 lit. D2O reactant for fusion engines.
- Delta V:
- 5 kps
- COMPATIBLE FAST PACKS:
- EI-17 PERSONAL ION CANNON: The only true weapon that the Karsrek possess is
the EI-17. This weapon is a design exclusive to the Karbarran Self Defense Forces
and is powered by a micronized version of a protoculture cell. The EI-17
proved to be an extremely reliable weapon, in spite of its limited range and was
chosen over traditional REF designs because of the plentiful ammunition supply.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Assault
- SECONDARY PURPOSE: Anti-Mecha
- RANGE: 600 m
- DAMAGE: 3d6 for each single shot, 1D4x10 for each short bursts
- RATE OF FIRE: Equal to the combined attacks of the pilot.
- PAYLOAD: 200 single shots or 75 short bursts.
- SELF PROPELLED TOW CABLE: The Karsrek is equipped with a self propelled cable.
This weapon is normally used to hoist the Karserk up when the thrusters are
malfunctioning or if stealthy advances are necessary. Only under the most dire
circumstances is this used as a weapon.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Climbing
- RANGE: 100m
- DAMAGE: 1d4 MDC
- RATE OF FIRE: Once fired the tow cable will be able to hold up to 1 metric ton.
It can be retrieved and refired after one full melee.
- PAYLOAD: One Tow Cable
- HAND TO HAND COMBAT: If necessary, the Karsrek can engage in melee combat rather
than use a weapon. The Karbrek is extremely agile and can execute most typical hand to
hand combat moves, such as punches, jump kicks, leap attacks, rolling with impacts, etc.
- Punch: 1D6*3
- Kick: 1D6*3
- Leap Kick: 2D6*3
- Body Flip/Throw: 1D6*3
- Body Block/Tackle: 1D6*3
- Stomp: 1D4*3 . (only effective against small objects)
STANDARD EQUIPMENT FOR THE KARSREK:
- PLANTARY REENTRY SHIELD: The Karsrek can be encased in a planetary reentry
shield. This shield is used to drop the Karsrek from planetary orbit for insertion
on a planet. The shield is encased with radar absorbing material for reduced
signatures, and has 100 MDC.
- COMBAT COMPUTER: The Karsrek is equipped with a combat computer that can
store and analyze data during combat with hostile forces. The combat computer tracks and
identifies specific enemy targets, and has a database of over 500 images stored in memory.
The computer can identify and track up to 100 targets simultaneously.
- EXTERNAL AUDIO PICKUP: Range: 300 ft (91.5 m). A sound amplification system that
can pick up normal conversation up to 300 feet away.
- HOMING SIGNAL: The Karsrek is equipped with a homing device that enables
rescue teams to locate a disabled craft. The range of the signal is 400 miles (640 km).
Most REF ships and veritechs can locate and track a homing signal, and the onboard
computers will automatically notify their pilots if such a signal is detected.
- LASER TARGETING SYSTEM: Range: 100 miles (160 km). Used for increased accuracy in
the striking of enemy targets and is partly responsible for the mecha's strike bonus.
- LOUDSPEAKER: A loudspeaker system is built into the craft, which can be used to
amplify the pilot's voice up to 90 decibels.
- OPTICS: INFRARED: Range: 2000 feet (610 m). This optical system projects a beam
of infrared light that is invisible to the normal eye, but detectable by the mecha's
sensors. The system allows the pilot to detect hidden/concealed objects by their IR
reflectiveness. The beam will be visible to anyone with IR sensitive optics, however.
- OPTICS: NIGHTVISION: Range: 2000 feet (610 m). A passive light image intensifier
that emits no light of its own, but relies on ambient light which is electronically
amplified to produce a visible picture.
- OPTICS: THERMAL IMAGER: Range: 2000 feet (610 m). A passive optical heat sensor
that detects infrared radiation projected by warm objects and converts that data into a
false-color visible image. The system enables the pilot to see in the dark, in shadows,
and through smoke, and also adds a +10% bonus to pilots using a tracking skill.
- RADAR: 10 mile range.
- RADIO/VIDEO COMMUNICATION: Long range, directional communications system with
satellite relay capabilities. Range: 100 miles (960 km) or can be boosted indefinitely via
- TACTICAL LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEM: The Karsrek is pressurized, and also provides
additional air feeds to the pilot's flight suit that provides him with pressurized
COMBAT BONUSES FOR KARSREK TRAINING:
- 2 attacks per melee (plus those of the pilot).
- Add one additional action/attack at levels five and ten.
- +2 to strike
- +2 to parry
- +4 to dodge
- +2 to leap dodge. An automatic dodge just like the parry, with no loss of attacks
- +3 to roll with a punch or fall with an impact, reducing damage by half.
- Critical strike same as pilot's hand-to-hand.
REFERENCES USED IN THIS DESIGN
- Robotech Technical Files: Cyclone
- Palladium Books: "The Sentinels"
Back to Mecha Home