Stealth Raulonve Fighter Pod
(Version 1.0 - Last updated:
- Background and RPG Statistics by Kenneth
- Based on an original design presented in Macross Digital Mission VF-X
Raulonve Fighter Pod was the standard aerospace fighter for the Imperial
Zentraedi Forces until the end of the Robotech Empire. The Raulonve, like
the Regult Tactical Battle Pod, was simple to operate, maintain, and easy to
mass produce. REF intelligence estimates that over 500 million Raulonve
Fighter Pods were produced throughout the Robotech Wars. Like all
Zentraedi designs, the major fault in the standard Raulonve Fighter Pod was its
lack of armor which is incapable of resisting damage from anti-mecha weaponry of
any caliber. As the war with
the Disciples of Zor and the continuing conflict with the Invid continued to
drain away resources, the Robotech Masters could no longer afford their
disposable Zentraedi mecha. They quickly came to the conclusion that in
order to win, they must field higher quality units.
The Stealth Raulonve Fighter pod retains much from its earlier
design, including the basic internal structure and relatively simple flight
controls. Zentraedi warriors previous trained in the standard design could
be quickly taught to pilot the newer stealthy version with under 5 hours of
training. The newer design, however, is a major upgrade from the standard
model and possess improved armor, weaponry, and a much reduced radar cross
section. The new design mounts two single-barreled Makral
Martszur Type 5A particle beam cannons on a strut coming out of the main body.
Each particle cannon is capable of firing nearly twice the energy of the earlier
Mk-3 models. The Stealth Fighter Pod mounts two Touwhaug Gativar-12 medium
range missile launcher on the ventral and dorsal sides of the fighter.
Each missile launcher can fire medium range Whernid Awhaug missiles in volleys
up to three missiles, with an additional nine missile ready to fire.
The armor on the Stealth Fighter Pod is an advanced titanium alloy.
Although, not capable of with standing the damage of contemporary Earth units,
the Stealth Raulonve is resistant against all small arms and weaponry up to 20 mm
in caliber. However, multiple hits from medium caliber weapons, such as
the 55mm GU-11, or single shots from heavy weapons, such as the 120mm Smoothbore
cannon on the Spartas Hovertank, will quickly destroy the unit. The unit
is designed to have a reduced radar cross section and is covered with an
advanced radar absorbing material which reduces the units radar cross section to
approximately 5 dBsm at X-Band.
Unfortunately for the Robotech Masters, the depletion of
resources caused by the incessant fighting made mass production of the Stealth
Fighter Pod impossible. Only 45,000 units were produced from 1984 until
production ended just prior to the departure of the Imperial Fleet in 2011.
Nearly all of the Stealth Fighter Pods were destroyed during the Zentraedi Rain of
Death on 18-April 2011; however, REF forces did encounter several units armed
with Stealth Raulonve during the Sentinel campaign and subsequent mop-up
- Vehicle Type: Stealth Raulonve "Stealth Fighter Pod"
- Class: One person Zentraedi Aerospace Fighter
Manufacturer: Tirolian Empire
Crew: One pilot wearing Tactical Life Support System
- Service History:
- Stealth Raulonve: Served with the Zentraedi Imperial Forces
from 1985 until 2011
MDC BY LOCATION:
|Particle Beam Cannons
|Engine Thrusters (4)
|1 Main Body
- Depleting the MDC of the main body will destroy the mecha.
- Max level speed: 1300 kph at sea level (in Earth-like atmosphere)
- Max level speed: 5800 kph at 40000m (in Earth-like atmosphere)
Stall speed: 250 kph
Initial climb rate: over 25,000m per minute
Service ceiling: Effectively unlimited, can enter into low orbit after
completing combat missions in Terrestrial type atmosphere
- DESIGNED G LIMITS:
- +12.0/-6.5 (Computer overrides at 9.5g)
- MAX ACCELERATION: SPACE
- 3.82 g
- DELTA V:
- 10.7 kps with 10,000 kg of D20
- Drop Tanks (although not normally used) will provide an additional delta v of:
- 1300 liters - 1.2 kps
- 2310 liters - 2.1 kps
- 4000 liters - 3.6 kps
- 12.0 m
- 12.0 m
- 20.8 m
- 32,000 kg (empty)
- 41,000 kg (full load)
- POWER PLANT:
- Esbeliben 1.4 GGV Protoculture Furnace
- MAX ENGINE THRUST
- [Main] 4 x VARREBOTZS TYPE-57 PLASMA-SHOCK ENGINES:
Four plasma-shock engines are mounted on the rear of the stealth fighter pod.
Each engine has a maximum thrust of 350 kN of static thrust (450 kN augmented)
in the atmosphere or 300 kN using internal reaction mass for spaceborne
operations (specific impulse of 5000 sec).
- FUEL CAPACITY:
- 50 standard canisters of protoculture
- GENERATOR ENDURANCE:
- 30 days of continuous use
- COMPATIBLE FAST PACKS:
- 2 x
MAKRAL MARTSZUR-5A PARTICLE BEAM CANNONS: Two mk-5
single barrel particle beam cannons are mounted in radar stealthy mount
projecting from the main body. Each cannon can fire 10 MJ bursts of
energy once every two seconds out to a maximum combat range of turrets on either side of the main body.
Each cannon can fire 10 MJ bursts of energy
once every 2 seconds out to a maximum combat range of 5000 meters. In
order to keep the developmental costs of down, the Mk-5a cannons are extremely
similar to the Mk-5 found on the
Stealth Regult. The
only two major differences are: the Mk-5a are in a fixed mount and not capable
of firing at independent targets, and second the Mk-5a have twice the number
of columnating magnetic coils providing the much longer range.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Assault/Defense
- SECONDARY PURPOSE: Anti-mecha
- RANGE: 5000m
- DAMAGE: 1D4*10 per cannon or 2D4*10 MDC for a dual burst.
- RATE OF FIRE: Equal to the pilot's combined hand to hand
attacks up to 8 shots per melee.
- PAYLOAD: Effectively Unlimited
TOUWHAUG GATIVAR-12: Like the standard fighter pod, the
stealth version mounts two missile launchers on dorsal and ventral surface of
the pod. Each launcher can fire up to three medium range Whernid Awhaug
missiles with an additional nine missiles in a ready position.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Assault
- SECONDARY PURPOSE: Anti-mecha
- RANGE: Varies with missile type (typically 100 km)
- DAMAGE: Varies with missile type (2D6*10 for plasma)
- RATE OF FIRE: Volleys of 1 to 3 missiles per launcher.
- PAYLOAD: 12 missiles Whernid Awhaug medium range plasma
missiles per launcher, although any medium range missile can be
- 2 x VBPS2-SS CHAFF/FLARE DECOY DISPENSERS: Two chaff flare decoy dispensers
are located in the rear of the aircraft. Each dispenser can hold up to
50 decoys apiece with the standard load out consisting of 50% chaff
bundles and 50% flares. The type and number of each decoy is triggered
manually by the pilot.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Anti-missile
- RANGE: 100 m
- RATE OF FIRE: Up to 10 decoys per attack
- PAYLOAD: 50 decoys per dispenser
- NOTES: In game play only chaff bundles will
affect RF missiles and flares affect IR missiles. The player must
declare after the missile strike, without knowledge of the natural strike
roll of the missile attack, which type of decoy he is deploying.
For each effective decoy deployed subtract -3 from the natural die roll
for dumb missiles (those with strike rolls +2 or less), -2 from the
natural die from for standard missiles (+3 to strike), -1 from the natural
die roll from intelligent missiles (+4 or greater to strike). If the
natural die roll, with out any strike bonuses added falls below +5 then
the decoys are effective and the missile(s) will miss their intended
- HAND TO HAND COMBAT: Although not suited to hand-to-hand
combat, the Stealth Fighter Pod can ram or block enemy targets.
- Ram: 2D6*10 MDC (destroying the pod in the process)
- Body Block: 6D6 MDC
STANDARD EQUIPMENT FOR STEALTH RAULONVE:
- ACTIVE SENSOR JAMMER VBPS2-SS: Although not normally used
as it would remove its stealthy features, the Stealth Fighter Pod has an internal ECM providing broadband protection.
Estimated system effective radiative power 40 dBW.
- CHAFF AND FLARE DISPENSERS
VBPS2-SS: 50 chaff and 50 flares are stored in
rear of the fighter.
- COMBAT COMPUTER: The combat computer tracks and identifies specific enemy
targets, and has a database of over 1,000 images stored in memory. The
computer can identify and track up to 48 targets simultaneously.
- EXTERNAL AUDIO PICKUP: A sound amplification system that
can pick up normal conversation up to 300 feet away.
- INFRA-RED WARNING RECEIVER VBPS2-SS:
Providing rear aspect protection from IR guided missiles
- HEAT AND RADIATION SHIELDS: Special shielding prevents the penetration of life
threatening heat and radiation. A radiation detection and alarm system are linked with the
shields and will sound an alarm if there is a rupture in the shields and what the levels
of radiation are.
- LASER TARGETING SYSTEM: Range 50 miles (160 km). Used for increased accuracy in
the striking of enemy targets and is partly responsible for the mecha's strike bonus.
- LOUDSPEAKER: A loudspeaker system is built into the craft, which can be used to
amplify the pilot's voice up to 90 decibels.
- OPTICS (NIGHTVISION): Range 1000 m. A passive light image intensifier
that emits no light of its own, but relies on ambient light which is electronically
amplified to produce a visible picture.
- OPTICS (THERMAL IMAGER): Range 1000 m. A passive optical heat sensor
that detects infrared radiation projected by warm objects and converts that data into a
false-color visible image. The system enables the pilot to see in the dark, in shadows,
and through smoke, and also adds a +10% bonus to pilots using a tracking skill.
- OPTICS (VISUAL): Telescopic optics (x10 magnification) and
comes with a multi-band digital camera.
- RADIO/VIDEO COMMUNICATION: Long range, directional communications system with
satellite relay capabilities. Range: 600 miles (960 km) or can be boosted indefinitely via
- RADAR: The Stealth Fighter Pod possesses a short range radar X-band
pulse Doppler radar. Detection radar against 0 dBsm target 90 km. System
consists of conformal antenna on the main body and legs of the mecha thereby
reducing the passive radar cross section.
- RADAR WARNING RECEIVER VBPS2-SS (RWR): Providing all
aspect broadband protection from RF guided missiles.
- RADAR EM-ABSORBING SKIN COVER: The unit is covered
with a radar absorbing material which absorbs EM radiation from
radio through ultra-violet wavelengths, and emitting only weakly in these bandwidths.
This reduces the detection range of conventional radar systems to 10% of
- TACTICAL LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEM: The Stealth Raulonve cockpit is
pressurized, and also provides additional air feeds to the pilot's flight suit
that provides him with pressurized breathing. Zentraedi armor also contains an upper and lower g-suit that promotes blood
circulation even during high-g turns, thus decreasing the possibility of pilot's blacking
out in combat.
COMBAT BONUSES FOR STEALTH RAULONVE:
- 2 attacks per melee (plus those of the pilot)
- +2 to roll with the punch
- +2 to strike
- +5 to dodge
- Critical strike are the same as the pilot's hand to hand
- One additional attack at level 5 and 10
Random Hit Locations
When there is an equal chance of hitting both sides from 1D6
- 1-3 hits the right side
- 4-6 hits the left
When there is a preferred side, roll 1D10
- 1-8 hits the preferred side
- 9-10 hits the opposite side
SOURCES USED IN CREATION OF DOCUMENT
Back to Mecha Home